Off camera flash with R-D1?

rpavich

Established
Local time
10:38 PM
Ok...so here is where I'm at so far: Love the R-D1 and I'd like it to be able to do portraits with off camera flash. Not that I think that's it's strong suit or anything, but if that will work, then I don't have to think about another camera for that.

I tried my Paul Buff Cyber Sync triggers and they wouldn't fire.

I tried a cheapie Cowboy Studio set of triggers and they go off but it appears that they aren't sync'd to the shutter.

The ONLY thing that I could get to work was a flash mounted directly on the camera.

Another problem popped up also, with the flash mounted on the camera, the flash would "lock up" and not be adjustable while on the hot shoe.

So, my question: has anyone gotten a set of triggers to work with the R-D1?

If nobody can come up with a workable trigger, how about a camera mounted flash and an off camera flash with an optical slave?

If nobody can come up with a workable trigger, how about a camera mounted flash and an off camera flash with an optical slave?

That makes good sense to me. I have a Nikon SB-30 that I use for situations like that ... it's small, light, and had a built-in IR trigger specifically to allow it to operate as a trigger flash without contributing to the overall exposure.

I had the R-D1 only a few days ... Didn't like it much at all, never got to the task of trying a flash unit on it before I returned it to the vendor. But I'd try my Cactus V2 and V5 triggers on it if I had one.

G

Looks like a PC plug on left side of camera. See page 30 of manual.

I use Pocket Wizards that can be used with a PC plug. They also work on a hot shoe. Looks like the hot shoe isn't TTL useable?

Instructions here for your camera:

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/rd1___/rd1___u1.pdf

As others have suggested, you could mount a flash on the hot shoe that could be set as your fill light and the off camera flash as your main light.

That's what I have been doing so far but it's very top-heavy for sure. Not what I'd like in a perfect world.

I ordered some Cactus V2 triggers from Ebay today (antiques!) because I've read quite a few threads that say that they work with the R-D1.

BTW: I figured out what is happening on my current triggers; the shutter fires, and then the trigger goes off. Not sure why.

Looks like a PC plug on left side of camera. See page 30 of manual.

I use Pocket Wizards that can be used with a PC plug. They also work on a hot shoe. Looks like the hot shoe isn't TTL useable?

Instructions here for your camera:

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/rd1___/rd1___u1.pdf

As others have suggested, you could mount a flash on the hot shoe that could be set as your fill light and the off camera flash as your main light.
So you are saying the PW's work on the hot shoe?

Which model?

Here is a link to B & H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Radio-Slaves/ci/8480/N/4232859127

I use an older version of this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925118-REG/pocketwizard_801_129_plus_x_transceiver.html

You need two, one for the camera and another for the flash.

See the hot shoe connection on the bottom?

The problem I encountered using a slave is when I was at an event and someone else took a photo with flash it would set off my flash that had the optical slave. That was a no no. Only performed that trick once!

Pocket Wizards are great. I never encountered a problem using them.

Here is a link to B & H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Radio-Slaves/ci/8480/N/4232859127

I use an older version of this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925118-REG/pocketwizard_801_129_plus_x_transceiver.html

You need two, one for the camera and another for the flash.

See the hot shoe connection on the bottom?

The problem I encountered using a slave is when I was at an event and someone else took a photo with flash it would set off my flash that had the optical slave. That was a no no. Only performed that trick once!

Pocket Wizards are great. I never encountered a problem using them.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the new version will work. That's what's weird. If you surf the threads about this, you find that the Cactus V2 works but the V5 doesn't. I think the V4 works also. It seems like newer stuff doesn't work, I can't figure out why.

I'd hate to buy a PW +X and find that I spent 200.00 for nothing.

Well, the cactus v2 doesn't work either, they go off after the shutter closes.
I'm going to try two more things and then I give up; a wein infrared trigger, and pocket wizards. If they won't work, I'm done trying.

I picked up a Fuji EF-X20 so I could have a flash to work with either of my bodies. While it's not a perfect fit it does do the job(occasionally it doesn't fire), honestly though I keep thinking of taking the dremel to it and shaving a mm or so off the front of the flash shoe for it to achieve better contact. Some manual flash heads and optical slaves would be an inexpensive set up while also providing fill.

Now I need to go find my calipers so I don't grind/cut off to much, lol.

For off camera flash trigger / release I have had good success with SMDV Flash Wave - III (TX & RX). It's not the newest version, but you can still purchase it... Amazon (USA) lists the product at a reasonable price. The last time I was in the USA I ordered another RX unit to fire a second flash (I am using Nikon SB-28).

The SMDV Flash Wave - III works with my Leica MP, Nikon F3P, and Canon 5DII as well as my Sekonic L-758D. The trigger is hot shoe compatible (one single central connection on the foot) and comes with a cable to connect to your camera (or Sekonic) sync terminal / Flash Synchro terminal. The receivers have a hot shoe, sync terminal, and connection for studio lights (cables may be extra).

For off camera flash trigger / release I have had good success with SMDV Flash Wave - III (TX & RX). It's not the newest version, but you can still purchase it... Amazon (USA) lists the product at a reasonable price. The last time I was in the USA I ordered another RX unit to fire a second flash (I am using Nikon SB-28).

The SMDV Flash Wave - III works with my Leica MP, Nikon F3P, and Canon 5DII as well as my Sekonic L-758D. The trigger is hot shoe compatible (one single central connection on the foot) and comes with a cable to connect to your camera (or Sekonic) sync terminal / Flash Synchro terminal. The receivers have a hot shoe, sync terminal, and connection for studio lights (cables may be extra).
Thanks!
I bought a set of these triggers on Amazon just now. In a few days I'll have it narrowed down to the Wein IR trigger or these, whichever works.

Back