Old Nik Software (Silver Efex) still Free?

B-9

Devin Bro
Local time
5:56 PM
Well,

I am wondering if it is still possible to get some of the Nik Software for free?

Heading to the DXO website it’s looking like either a limited time free trial or buy the new V2 package with all 7 plug ins.

I’m looking to use the old Solver Efex as a stand-alone BW tool.

I do not have PS or Lightroom and no real interest in the whole enchilada.

Maybe someone can email me the files?

Try this B-9: https://archive.org/details/nikcollection-full-1.2.11

I run this in Lightroom and surprisingly DxO Photolab2 is able to host this older software from Nik. I have never tried to run as a stand-alone program, so I don't know if this possible.

I do have a separate exe file for Silver Efex from 2013 and could send that to you if you post your email address in a private message to me. let me know.

Ray

Ray, Thanks!

I did a little digging and found that exact link.

I’ve downloaded it and plan to give it a try this afternoon.

I’ll PM you if I run into a snag and need your exe Thanks for the offer!

I seem to remember that the whole suite of Nik image software was bundled in a single installer originally and I presume (I cannot recall) you can select which of these to install when you run that installer. Interestingly I seem to recall that when I ran the installer for the suite of programs the HDREfex installer set it up in stand alone mode automatically but not so with the other components. Maybe there are options to do this in the installation files I cannot recall. But if so hopefully you can do that with the Silver Efex software.

I run the old Nik Suite (which I downloaded when it first became free) under Lightroom and under Corel Paintshop Pro and each module works fine as a plugin though I note this is not what you plan to do. There are definite advantages to doing so however. You can use and convert RAW files with all the benefits that confers, for example and also carry out normal basic processing that is usually needed on most files before any "special" processing is undertaken - cropping, sharpening, tonal adjustments, recovery of blown highlights etc. Then its just a matter of clicking on the plugin link from within the editor to drop into the relevant plugin and complete the processing before saving the file. But if that is not your plan you will need to live with some inherent limitations of using an effects editor that was not really designed to stand alone.

Other than the HDR Efex module as mentioned above (which I seldom have reason to use), I have not tried running any other components in stand alone mode but the received wisdom is that its components work OK in this way with some limits - e.g. I believe that RAW files cannot be used (and for me this is a deal breaker). In fact I believe I have seen some web links explaining how to do this but have not tried to use them in that way.

EDIT: And in fact here is a link that may help.

https://petapixel.com/2017/12/15/can-run-nik-collection-plugins-standalone-apps-heres/

Back