Olympus 35RC and lens sharpness

They certainly are; and I'm glad to be here.

BV

Yes, welcome, you have a great camera. I don't have it now (well I have one, but not the original one, as a women threw it against a wall in El Salvador in 1971) but the Konica C35 was the best lens of all the sub-compacts I've had, but it is totally automatic. So stick to the RC35 and you won't be unhappy.

I hope you threw the woman against the wall after that! :D

^ joke or no joke don't go there.

Anyway,

I know this thread was put to bed a while ago but I wanted to add some visual proof to the archive.

I recently started camera-scanning slides with an OM 50 mm 3.5 macro, extension tube, and Panasonic G3. Since not many people seem to post high-res scans of slides, I figured I would.

I did a 2-shot stitch to see if I could capture all of the detail. I'm not sure that I did, but with this much detail in a 35mm slide, I have a long way to go to master 120, much less 4x5.

The scan colors ain't 100% accurate to the slide, but what else is new...Velvia 50, 35RC (obviously)
8702391656_ebef565022_c.jpg

crop...
8702390950_d62e6c2c14_z.jpg

8701272113_00137b9fb7_c.jpg

Crop:

8701268937_6ce57f86f0.jpg

... Could it be me not handling my D90 correctly? Is there a lens not top of the class, but good enough to produce sharp images close to what I get with my Oly?

Come on, that's no way to establish a comparison. It's apples to oranges in just about all the details. The D90 is exposing APC RGB photosites on a sensor and the RC is exposing silver on a larger film frame. Even the lens construction is way different with the zoom being multiplied by the extra glass compared with the oly's simpler lens. And, you'd have to reduce the two end results to some common digital or film-based result. I have both and the rc's negs get scanned or I just shoot in BW400CN and get those deep tones... Just ain't the same animals...

Bob G.

I already got a Konica C35, do I need an Olympus 35RC too :) ? (even the model names are similar)

You decide - Konica is fully AE, Olympus allows to use manual mode. Lenses, I think, are about in same ballpark. If you are happy with how Konica decides on exposures...

You decide - Konica is fully AE, Olympus allows to use manual mode. Lenses, I think, are about in same ballpark. If you are happy with how Konica decides on exposures...

I think I'm gonna get one just for the kicks. Life's too short to pass on cheap rangefinders.

I think I'm gonna get one just for the kicks. Life's too short to pass on cheap rangefinders.

Then get 35RC by any means. Obviously, you haven't got enough of them if can think this way.
I'm on route "life's too short to use 'em all" now :)

P.S. Have to scan a film I partially exposed in C35 EF3 and then reloaded into 35RC. You see, they match each other.

:). My RC arrived, but it seems to me that the shutter speeds are off and bulb doesn't work. Anybody maybe knows why?

Ok, so its stuck at a single shutter speed with no bulb working, that is the shutter speed selection isn't getting to the shutter. To my ear it sounds like its constantly 1/60. Everything else seems top notch tho. Any ideas for a fix, maybe easy one?

Last edited:
Yep, the ol' RC is still a camera to reckon with - be sure check out my earlier thread about how to 'firm-up' the rather 'too-loose' focus ring.

I love my RC but now it is getting or has surpassed the 100 roll mark which according to Roger Hicks is about the life of one of these. Roger was probably doing a tongue in cheek, but little hints of impending doom are starting to crop up.

Back