Olympus Flash Search/Hunting

FredtheLlama

Established
Local time
10:39 AM
Evening chaps,

I've been lurking here for a year or so, because it's a brilliant wealth of knowledge.

I need help finding a compact, reasonably original flash for my Olympus Pen EE2.

I love the look of the one below, but it's as rare as hens teeth and requires bulbs.

x9WD9MY.jpg

Does anyone know of a similar flash? I'm not a fan of 'tall' flashes. I think they made pc connected one that attaches to the base plate but I can't find a picture or name for that.

Any help is much appreciated.

Vivitar makes some small flashes, I use a Vivitar 2600-D. These are older and only around $25. The super small electronic flashes don't really have enough power or versatility.

I once tried to put a flash unit out of a disposable into a old flash unit to look vintage. It worked but again wasn't powerful enough.

Hi,

Just keep looking, they turn up from time to time; usually in gadget bags or fitted to a camera...

I'll wish you luck.

Regards, David

Thanks for that chaps.

I've seen a fair few of Vivitar upright flashes that are very cheap on ebay.

The idea is to make the camera still pocketable with the flash still equipped.

I've discovered the PS100G flash that sits pretty flat. Do those require bulbs?

Thanks again

Good luck with your search. I have a few Olympus flashes: T32 (waay too big for a Pen EE2), T18 & PS200. The last two are very good little units, and easy to get for ridiculously low prices, but stand up vertical.

The flash in your picture looks very stylish.

I looked in the manual for the 35SP (copies available online at.the very useful butkus site). It depicts two flash units: The one pictured above, and and an electronic flash called the PS100G, which is a horizontal model. That might be the one you go looking for, but it could he pretty rare. That said, I think I saw one on ebay a few weeks back, being sold with a Trip, or some other smaller camera. May even have been a Pen.

Good luck hunting.

Edited to add: I notice that the manual also specifically recommends the PS100G for Pen EE models.

Hi,

I've an old brochure for the FTL, Pen's, Trip 35 and their RF's and it shows the CL flash gun for capless bulbs but it needs a 15v battery and the PS 100G which is an electronic flash.

The PS200 and PS 200 Quick for two and four AA's seem to be the upright replacements for the two earlier flat ones.

The best way to get any of them seems to be to look for Trip 35's on ebay...

Regards, David

If one don't insist on this very compact flash, there are some old generic flashes which can stand up or fold left or right. These also will be dirt cheap.

Hi,

Been going round in small circles since typing about the Olympus CL flash as I tried to track down the 15v battery it took. I found this on the way:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olympusrf/7218439604/

and then remembered that the battery was an Ever Ready B154 and that means you can get them from those paragons the small battery company at:-

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_a220.htm?a220,various,B154

AND, if anyone's got a copy of the instructions for the CL then I'd love to have a copy of it...

Regards, David

PS And then I scrolled down the Flickr page and found the battery identuified...

Nice kit collection. I was pleased to get the case for the PS200, let alone the box and instructions! And your 100 looks immaculate.

Hi,

So that's what the elusive PS 100G looks like. Nice to see one after the itsy bitsy picture in the brochure.

Regards, David

That PS100 looks exactly what i'm after. Thanks for posting some pictures of the elusive thing.

I guess I'll start the waiting game to find one for myself.

(...unless, you are bored of your one?) ;)

Evening chaps,

I've been lurking here for a year or so, because it's a brilliant wealth of knowledge.

I need help finding a compact, reasonably original flash for my Olympus Pen EE2.

I love the look of the one below, but it's as rare as hens teeth and requires bulbs.

x9WD9MY.jpg

Does anyone know of a similar flash? I'm not a fan of 'tall' flashes. I think they made pc connected one that attaches to the base plate but I can't find a picture or name for that.

Any help is much appreciated.

Wish I knew how rare that flash was, I tossed a couple into the trash earlier this year. I have a small Olympus strobe which goes on the SP, but the former owner left the batteries in it, and it corroded to junk.

I'll have to keep my eyes open,

Hello guys, I picked up one of those CL flashes for my PEN EE-2. with a set of bulbs and a full battery (check with my voltmeter!)

But it's not working? I've tried multiple bulbs and batteries in it as well. A different flash i have works fine on my PEN EE-2 as well, so I know the problem is not the camera.

I took the flash apart to check all the connection i could see and everything seems to be intact. I'm thinking the capacitor is bad?

This flash does not have an on/off switch. Usually with a flash I can turn it on and can hear the capacitor charge up.

Anyone have tips for me on how to trouble shoot this flash?

I'm even thinking about gutting it and putting modern goodies inside the body, but that would be kinda blasphemous considering how rare these are? or solder in a new capacitor? never done that kind of thing but seems easy enough.

also i got frustrated and put the flash onto an old yashica lynx which has a cold shoe mount and the flash instantly turned on and burnt my finger for a split second after i pushed the flash off the camera. I dunno if this ruined the flash or not. it definitely burnt the bulb out.

Hi,

Sounds as though the flash is OK as the metal of the accessory shoe would have connected the terminals of the flash's base and fired it. So next time turn off the flash first...

That suggests the camera that didn't fire the flash has a u/s connection somewhere. Or the condenser was reformed whilst you were testing it and now is OK and so worked on the second camera.

Regards, David

PS I think they call condensers capacitors these day, sorry about that.

Safety Notes

• Flashbulbs are much safer than the old "flash powder" they replaced. Accidents with intact coated flashbulbs were said to be rare; nevertheless, flashbulbs should be considered incendiary devices capable of causing bodily harm to the user or persons nearby.
  • Static electricity may cause flashbulbs to self-ignite; consequently, always handle bare bulbs carefully and always keep bulbs in containers until used.
  • Strong electromagnetic fields may cause flashbulbs to ignite. Exercise care around radio transmitters (including cellular phones), and perhaps even airline X-ray machines.
  • Airline regulations may prohibit flashbulbs in baggage or checked luggage.
  • Do not use in an explosive atmosphere, such as near a gasoline station, natural gas site, or in a coal mine.
Smaller bulbs: M2, M3, AG1, etc.

Smaller than #5 bulbs, these bulbs require an adapter to fit into 5" or 7" reflectors. In such a reflector, they provide an even light. Flash synchronization time may differ from #5.​

[FONT=&quot]Safety note[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: flash bulbs generate significant heat when fired. Do not fire them close to anyone's face or skin, nor anywhere near flammable substances. Do not touch them with your bare fingers immediately after firing. Do not carry them loose in your pocket, where they might be fired accidentally by static electricity (Ouch!). Flash cubes and Magicubes are shielded, but glass bulbs (AG-1 "peanut" bulbs, and M2 types) are not, so keep a safe distance from people since it is remotely possible that bulbs might shatter when fired.[/FONT]

Back