Olympus M Zuiko 14-42 3.5-5.6 L ED

I have 50mm and 100mm covered by two lenses, so this zoom would add 28-84, giving mainly 28mm-35mm.

Raid,
Not sure if it is the same lens you ask about, mine reads 14-42 3.5-5.6 ED. No L. I am satisfied with the results. I also have the Lumix 20/1.7 and 14/2.5. The zoom may not quite equal the primes, but it is very close. In the practical world, it does the job for me.

Gerry,
The "ED" is only shown at the barrel end and not the lens front. I think that the zoom is "OK" for snapshots. My lens may be the second one that came with the E-P2.

1. Qlympus Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 14-42mm 28-84mm f/7-11.2 f/3.5–5.6 150 discontinued
2. Olympus Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 L 14-42mm 28-84mm f/ 7-11.2 f/3.5–5.6 133 discontinued
3. Olympus Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II MSC 14-42mm 28-84mm f/7-11.2 f/3.5–5.6 115 discontinued

I think, with "L", it has one aspherical element. The last version has 3 aspherical elements.
I just read online that the L version was for the E-PL1, and it has a plastic mount. The non-L has a metal mount. Else, identical optically.

Hmm. My 14-42 is with my son right now, but it has the metal mount. I got it with my Oly EP-2.

I use the lens, but it often leaves me wanting more. Its just not fair to compare the 14-42 to my other m43 lenses, and especially to lenses adapted to the EP-2. For me, distortion is not an issue with the lens. CA is kind of bad, but easily managed in Lightroom, Resolution is just not satisfying most of the time....a little soft at every FL and aperture. BUT, that's me looking at the images in the same session as images shot with Leica and Zeiss primes. I know that my son doesn't seem to have any problem with the performance of the 14-42.

Raid, because you have lenses that perform well, you may notice the limitations of the 14-42 as well.

I removed this lens from my camera bag for this trip. I will keep it basic.
E-PL1 with Summilux 25/1.4 for a modern look (50mm view).
E-P2 with uncoated Zeiss 5cm /1.5 (from 1938) for a 10mm view through a vintage lens.

This is it. Both lenses are optically excellent. I am used to both cameras and lenses.
I will leave Leica equipment behind this time. I will try using small, light cameras instead.
My iPhone 6 is also with me for quick snapshots and for panorama images. The Summilux will give me an AF lens.
In the end, I want to enjoy the trip and not just the photography.
We will again meet up with Robert and his wife (Simo) for a few days!
I will "see" his newly acquired M10. and he will bring his Polaroid Land 240 to show me how to load this camera and use it.
I can then try using my Land 250 after we return to Pensacola.

We are trying to go basic (for all of us), and we will only have carry-on small luggage.
Even our rental car will be not large.

It hopefully will add to the travel adventure!

Back