Olympus M Zuiko 20mm f1.4 Pro

Archiver

Mentor
Local time
12:36 PM
This lens looks pretty tasty:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0232626074/travel-friendly-20mm-f1-4-pro-becomes-first-om-system-lens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZIjL0U5g_Y&ab_channel=OMSystem.Global

If I didn't already have the 17, 25 and 45 Pro primes, I'd definitely add this to the list. Interestingly, the Australian RRP is several hundred dollars less than the RRP of the others. They retail for between AUD $1800 and $2000, but the new 20mm f1.4 retails for $1200. So when it hits the used market, I'll probably be able to pick one up for about $700-800.

If I were picking between Pro lenses, I'd choose this one. As it stands, I have the Panasonic 20/1.7 which is a fantastic lens hampered by slow AF, and I don't really get into the higher-priced M4/3 lenses. But if I wanted a water resistant street photography lens to go with my EM5 II, and had the cash for this one , it'd be my pick. The 40mm FoV is just that good, especially in 4:3 format.

This caught my attention too - looks like a great lens. What body are you using Archiver? I've been considering picking up an e-m5 mkiii, a 12, 17/1.8 and 75/1.8 recently.

This looks really nice for m43 shooters. I love it when companies take the 40mm focal length seriously and offer both compact options and fast options. Better yet when they offer a reasonably-sized ƒ/2 in between, like Olympus and Voigtlander did.

This caught my attention too - looks like a great lens. What body are you using Archiver? I've been considering picking up an e-m5 mkiii, a 12, 17/1.8 and 75/1.8 recently.

I have a bunch of m43 bodies, but the ones I use the most are the Panasonic G9 and GM1. The G9 is my workhorse camera for video work and some stills, and the GM1 is a super little near-pocket camera when used with the tiny Olympus primes. I also have the original E-M5, which I still really enjoy. The image quality from the E-M5 still holds up against all following 16mp sensor bodies, which is surprising.

If you're thinking of the 12/2, 17/1.8 and 75/1.8 with the E-M5 III, it should be an excellent package. Olympus have improved their high ISO performance and IBIS, not to mention their autofocus since the E-M5. The 12/2 has a wee bit of difficulty autofocusing on the G9, but is better on the Olympus. The 17mm is a nice little lens, although it has a somewhat more digital look compared with the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 or even the f1.2 Pro lens. The 75 is in a class of its own, it's so sharp and renders beautifully. If you want a long portrait lens, the 75 is awesome.

I have a bunch of m43 bodies, but the ones I use the most are the Panasonic G9 and GM1. The G9 is my workhorse camera for video work and some stills, and the GM1 is a super little near-pocket camera when used with the tiny Olympus primes. I also have the original E-M5, which I still really enjoy. The image quality from the E-M5 still holds up against all following 16mp sensor bodies, which is surprising.

If you're thinking of the 12/2, 17/1.8 and 75/1.8 with the E-M5 III, it should be an excellent package. Olympus have improved their high ISO performance and IBIS, not to mention their autofocus since the E-M5. The 12/2 has a wee bit of difficulty autofocusing on the G9, but is better on the Olympus. The 17mm is a nice little lens, although it has a somewhat more digital look compared with the Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95 or even the f1.2 Pro lens. The 75 is in a class of its own, it's so sharp and renders beautifully. If you want a long portrait lens, the 75 is awesome.

Ahh Nice - I've noticed the recent Panasonics have quite large viewfinders which is always surprising relative to the system size overall.

Picked up the em5 iii and the 17/1.8 in black today - so far so good.
On a side note, I managed to have a play with a demo e-m1x and WOW is that one sweet handling camera. The staff member at the shop also said he's had a fair few pre-orders on the OMsystem 20mm f1.4, so here's to hoping OM digital continues to do good things!

Ahh Nice - I've noticed the recent Panasonics have quite large viewfinders which is always surprising relative to the system size overall.

Picked up the em5 iii and the 17/1.8 in black today - so far so good.
On a side note, I managed to have a play with a demo e-m1x and WOW is that one sweet handling camera. The staff member at the shop also said he's had a fair few pre-orders on the OMsystem 20mm f1.4, so here's to hoping OM digital continues to do good things!

Congratulations on the new camera! I use the 17/1.8 for a compact walkaround lens, and the 12/2 and 25/1.8 in a pocket of my bag. I like the field of view of my Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2 for EF mount, so the 20/1.4 could be a nice addition to the m43 kit.

I haven't handled a EM1x yet, but it would probably thrill me no end. I bought the E-M5 for a number of reasons, one being that it handled so nicely when I tried it at the Melbourne Photography Expo (Digital Show?) some years ago, and also for the weathersealing. The only thing that lets the original EM5 down now is the video quality compared with Panasonic - I got a GH3 a bit later which had way better video quality. I haven't tried later Olympus cameras, but I'd be surprised if they weren't roughly comparable with Panasonic now. Have fun with your new camera.

Back