Olympus Pen 38mm

Steve_Pfost

Established
Local time
6:26 AM
I purchased a bargain 38mm from KEH, stating Oily Aperture. I don't have a lens for a recently acquired PEN-FT and have been looking for something reasonably priced. I've had remarkably great success with KEH's bargain items. I find all that I have purchased have been mint. I almost feel the name bargain seems as though you're getting something that is sub-par which I have never found to be the case. I've also had my fair share of oily apertures which never seemed to affect much use of the lens.

If the aperture is defective for any reason, is there someone who can give these a CLA? or is it worth just returning to KEH and keep waiting. The lens cost me $70.

Have you received the lens to see if there’s an issue yet? If it’s BGN and doesn’t work then I think it’s still covered under their warranty.

It will matter if you're shooting film with a Pen, the oil will delay the aperture stop-down action, resulting in over exposure.

I've cleaned many of these, if you've got the tools it isn't difficult. It's a common issue with Pen lenses.

Almost any camera tech could clean it up.

I received the lens today in the mail, it looks flawless, I see no oil on the blades in the front. The back I can spot maybe a tad, but it's quite hard to see. I wonder why the rated it with an oily aperture. It seems to respond accurately as well. Time to test with film I suppose.

Great lens, unless damaged in some hidden manner not readily apparent then you will have no complaints on it’s performance. Also nice is that it focuses to 14 inches which covers an area of about 5X7 inches. Remember, the lens lock is on the right and the DoF preview button is on the left. The filter size is 43mm and if was me I’d go to ebay and order a metal hood for standard lens, they are not expensive. Note; a whole bunch of 43mm hoods on ebay are the vented type for rangefinder lenses, just get the solid one. There is a ebay seller called heavy2star (I think) that shhips from the US, I’ve purchased maybe 10 hoods from them and they have always been reliable and the hoods are high quality, flat black inside, and reasonable prices.

Sticky diaphragms usually manifest first in the cold. If you're somewhere where it's cold at the moment, test it outside.

Back