Olympus Pen F

I missed out on the chance to play with one because of flu. Still very much desire an Pen F. It's almost like they designed a camera just for me! Only difference I would desire would be weatherproofing, and a true rangefinder. But that's probably not gonna happen.

I had opportunity to play a few minutes today with one and I have to say I am very impressed. Small size ok for my small hands but with a feeling of a solid well built object (for sure this is a subjective feeling). Quick autofocus. Not sure what to say about EVF because I would need more time and I do not own other cameras with EVF, so I cannot say if this is better or worse!
General feeling this could be the digital camera I'm looking for to stay beside my film cameras when traveling!
And what I like a lot is the possibility to reverse the LCD so you do not see it...
Thinking about...
robert
PS: not so sure if I like this 4/3 ratio and yes the menù is a little bit...frightening...but ...

Robert, I have my OM-D set to 2:3 and the Pen-F will also do that.

Yes, I know this, my only worry is that it's already a "small" sensore and I'll crop away a part it will become even smaller! But I guess whith the now 20 MP it should be ok.

My mistake I didn't bring a card with me so I could bring s home a few shots, I'll do next time. Meantime thinking which lenses in case I buy it !
robert
PS: just free wheel thinking, 12 + 25 (PanaLeica?) should be a good combo for my style...

Just purchased a non-weather sealed Black Pen F at my local camera store, should be picking it up in a few hours and it begins to rain...it seems fate is trying to to tell me something...

I live in Los Angeles so I'm sure it will stop raining in about an hour, We don't get real weather here sadly :rolleyes:

I got a matching 17mm with it. I'm new to Olympus and Micro Four Thirds so I'm testing the waters with this little guy. I'm doing an event tonight so I might take it along with my Fuji XT-1 as a people camera. I'll post examples as soon as I can!
At least trying to tell you it's time to buy an umbrella :D

robert

PS: please report your user impression, I'm very curious...by the way which lens?

We'll only time will tell but to be honest I don't see the XT-1 losing out to the Pen F. The Pen F to me is meant to be a personal camera and not a camera I plan to use for work, with tonight being the exception.
Interesting to know how it will be compared to the xt1...
robert

Mistake....???

Mistake....???

I'm waiting for a silver one. Thanks, guys. ;)

My finding is that because all of these camera's are polycarbonate rather than metal under the coating... once some wear show on the silver bodies, it's quite a bit more unattractive than the black models.

The black polycarbonate underneath is nowhere near as unobtrusive as brassing on metal base camera's.

I have not purchased a silver digital camera since becoming aware of how much faster they look used and unattractive.

I encourage you to try to see a few silver model late digital camera's that have been out in the field for any length of time and have moderate shutter counts.

Black finish only for me on digital.

My finding is that because all of these camera's are polycarbonate rather than metal under the coating... once some wear show on the silver bodies, it's quite a bit more unattractive than the black models.

The black polycarbonate underneath is nowhere near as unobtrusive as brassing on metal base camera's.

I have not purchased a silver digital camera since becoming aware of how much faster they look used and unattractive.

I encourage you to try to see a few silver model late digital camera's that have been out in the field for any length of time and have moderate shutter counts.

Black finish only for me on digital.

My M8 still looks pretty good, almost nine years on:

Digital Leicas, February 20, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

We'll only time will tell but to be honest I don't see the XT-1 losing out to the Pen F. The Pen F to me is meant to be a personal camera and not a camera I plan to use for work, with tonight being the exception.

I understand this, my interest in the Pen F is because I'm looking for a small digital but high quality to keep in my bag when traveling beside my film camera. Maybe an iso 100 or 400 film and use the digital in interiors when I need higher iso. Something like this.
And the Pen is so nice...
robert

I understand this, my interest in the Pen F is because I'm looking for a small digital but high quality to keep in my bag when traveling beside my film camera. Maybe an iso 100 or 400 film and use the digital in interiors when I need higher iso. Something like this.
robert

Robert
Last week I got back from a couple of weeks in Cuba. I took my ZI with three lenses with me and also a little FujiFilm X30 but ended up using the X30 for everything. My guess is this could also happen with a Pen :eek:

robert

Curious.. Have u already looked at the Panasonic LX 100?

Feels very much like operating a film camera due to shutter speed dial, aperture ring and exposure comp dial. It has a built in 24-75f1.8-2.8 zoom lens uses a m43 sensor but cropped to 12mp instead of the normal 16 mp. High ISO is 800-1600 depending on how picking u are. Can be set to program mode by setting both aperture and shutter dials both to A just like the Ruji X cameras. Plus it support HD and 4K video. Built in support to review and extract a 8mp still from 4K video. Video is a nice to have on vacation, even if u don't use it normally, IMHO.

Though I initially bought it as a vacation camera, it has turned into one of two cameras I use as an everyday carry camera. The Ricoh GR being the other plus the Panasonic Cm1 smartphone.

With all that said, u can't go wrong w/ the Pen F. It is a nice camera and the 20mp sensor should serve u well. The m43 lens lineup has a lot of very good lenses. The ibis is the best out there..Panasonic version on the gx7 and 8 can't touch it.

I have a pretty bad memory especially as I've gotten older..the complexity of the config menu is the only thing I don't like about the Olympus cameras. Once u set it up the way u want, it tends to get out of your way for the most part..but if I need to change something it takes me a while to remember where something is. One of these days I might spend the time to create a config tree diagram for myself..though I'm not using the em5 very much any more.

Good luck
Gary

She digs the camera!
by juan guardado, on Flickr

They Didnt Touch

Jamming

Home Mess

Here are a Few Shots from last night! I must say so far I'm loving the stabilization and Monochrome profiles on the PEN F. After setting up all my functions buttons and presets the camera handle great. It exceeded my expectation in low light. Nearly all of these are 1600 ISO. I shot only in JPEG because i have yet to install the Olympus software. Made no corrections either.

The last one was shot this morning and it was me trying out the Monochrome profile that tries to mimic film.

Back