Olympus Pen S

I used the Pen-S causing me to become a professional ..
It is fun, the image size is exactly half full frame.
I made 8x10 prints, it fits paper perfectly!
You easily shoot verticals , the format of most published media..
A few were 16x20 some grain on original Tri-X.
I had both versions of brand new Pen-f, FT and both developed shutter problems.
Until last year a donated Olympus digital made me change mind about Olympus..
I think price high..

The Pen S, mightier than the sword! :D

First roll through a new to me Pen S. A bit overexposed in camera, but managed to sort it out in post processing. Not sure if elevation played any role in the overexposure, but I probably could have stopped down a bit more.

Olympus Pen S, Arista Premium 400, expired 2014, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 6.5 minutes.

2019.07.20 Roll #212-03751-positive-Pano.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Great camera, and can't be compared to a full frame. The proportion is different, like 6X4.5. It shoots a vertcal frame when holding the camera horizontally. There will be grain. Iused to use alot of Agfapan 100 in my Pen S and Pen W. With good light and development, you could make fairly large prints and the grain becomes a very nice look. Eugene Smith used one in Minamata, Robert Frank used one in the Americans. It's really quite a magical camera if you can find your way in.

I like the original Pen vf type. I have have found that the 1/25-1/200 + B Copal shutter is not too limiting in actual use and more often found working than the 5 blade Copal’s as found on the Pen S models.
A Pen D is nice to, although the 32mm f1.9 is more touchy to scale focus wide open and close up. That lens at 5.6 is excellent.
At best crop to 8X10 a half frame is only a 1.33x factor over full frame.

^^^^^ nice job, as was your other pen-o-rama.

Thank you, Larry! It was my first time using the new-to-me camera, and my first try with pen-o-ramas, so I was very pleased with the results. I overexposed slightly, but thankfully with the film's latitude, I was able to recover some good images in post.

Not sure if the overexposure was due to full sun at higher altitude, or just sloppy metering on the trail. Regardless, I think this camera will be a frequent companion on future backpacking trips. I may even try some star trails on a mini tripod.

I have an EES-2 and I have no idea how it produces such good photos. Every single time I use it I'm just completely blown away how good the results are. I swear the lens is better than a good deal of 35mm format prime lenses.

I think the original 1959 Olympus Pen and Pen S are great little cameras, because of their simplicity. I collected them awhile back and still have quite a few. I found that using them it was difficult to finish a 72 shot roll though.

Back