Olympus Trip 35 focusing question

valdas

Mentor
Local time
10:29 PM
Maybe a silly one, but nevertheless... When the focusing ring is in between the fixed zones positions (say between 1.5m and 3m) - will the real focus point be also "in between", say, in this case -2m? Or...? I surely can test this, but thought I would ask first.

Hi,

Look on the opposite side of the focussing ring from the zone marks and you'll see a regular focussing scale

Regards, David

Hi,

Look on the opposite side of the focussing ring from the zone marks and you'll see a regular focussing scale

Regards, David

Yes, that I know, I was a bit hesitant about "in between" fixed positions (clicks) regardless of what marks I use, pictograms or numbers.

I used my Dymo label printer to make a focusing scale that I taped to the lens, so it's visible thru the little peephole in the finder. This way distances are visible instead of the symbols.

Yes, that I know, I was a bit hesitant about "in between" fixed positions (clicks) regardless of what marks I use, pictograms or numbers.

Hi,

I suspected that but there's so many bodged cameras out there and this is the internet. So I try to cover all possibilities.

Regards, David

Can the focus be adjusted or calibrated on the Trip 35? By that I mean all the photos taken currently appear out of focus, blurry no matter what focus is selected. The actual camera looks mint so I would love to be able to save it.

Yes, but the top plate needs to be removed, and part of the shutter mechanism locked so the shutter can be held open.

Can the focus be adjusted or calibrated on the Trip 35? By that I mean all the photos taken currently appear out of focus, blurry no matter what focus is selected. The actual camera looks mint so I would love to be able to save it.

Hi,

I suspect that someone has had a go at "repairing" it and messed it up, if it won't focus anywhere. This old fool would send or take it to a proper technician and get it checked and sorted out. It would be well worth it as the lens is something to die for, especially at the silly prices they sell for these days.

Another point would be to buy a range finder* and fit it to the camera; that usually puts the icing on the cake. Again RF's seem to be given away these days and most tech's can calibrate them.

Regards, David

* The sort that clips into the accessory shoe, btw...

Yes, but the top plate needs to be removed, and part of the shutter mechanism locked so the shutter can be held open.

Yes, exactly - I have done this, a bit PITA process, but I managed to nail it, so it's worth doing, it's really nice camera after all.

Thanks. I’ll send it off next week. I had another Trip 35 previously and it produced fantastic negs, but I foolishly sold it. That’s why I got this one.

Functionality of this camera totally depends on very old selenium sensor.
If lens alligment will disturb this fragile cell, camera might become useless.

It is said by a few that the in between pictographs are very useful to focus on Forest Beings:D

Back