OM, I've become a Zuikoholic!

Definitely NSFW but it turns out that Richard Kern is a Zuikoholic too.

See http://www.vice.com/shot-by-kern/in-canada-1

With the second girl he shoots, he appears to be using an OM-1 (or possibly 2).
Not quite my 'artistic' sphere, but he does appear to use either an OM-1 or OM-2 with what seems to be the 135/2.8.
(The 135/3.5 retractable shade has a smaller diameter than the outer rim of the aperture ring, while the 135/2.8's retractable shade is in alignment with the aperture ring's diameter. See 10:17 in the video.)

Just thought of sharing a couple of pics of my new born son. Nothing significant as for the pictures. But I was pleasantly surprised as to the keepers I got with the Zuiko 50mm 1.2 using hand held OM4T indoors with el-cheapo Walgreens 200 speed film.

410481010012.jpglargethumb.jpg

410481010022.jpglargethumb.jpg

zuiko 50mm f3.5 macro arrived today.

I got an MC Auto-Macro and it really is in top shape.

Initial testing suggests very good wide open performance and utterly ridiculous performance at f5.6. A little early to judge bokeh but it might be "funky". However, so is my silvernose 50/1.4. Size and weight are nice.

Im on the lookout for another very late serial number 50/1.4 for comparative testing. Ebay seems to be dry right now though.

really liked the lighting here when I was there. unfortunately the scanner at walgreens overexposed it (trolol anyone in Ft. Worth got a scanner I can bum for a nice lunch?/Bottle of Maker's?).

Last edited:
Actually I need to ask a question.

My 28mm f3.5 looks awful on my 40d. Like, unsharp across the frame focused even though I focused with 10x live view. Complete and utter mush in the corners. This is at all apertures. And on APS-C.

Looks sharp corner to corner on acros though.

Looks seriously jaggy in Picasa photoview (what I use to grab raws off of CF card) but less so in Photoshop through ACR but it's still there to some degree.

I would think even a bad copy of this lens should be able to do better than that at f8 =/ What's the deal?

I ordered black vulcanite from Aki Asahi, and as usual he added an extra cover for free (anyone know why he does that?). This time it was light brown snake imitation.
Personally I think it's hideous and it feels weird in the hand, but I just had to put it on and take a snap anyways.

For everyone worried, the camera is now stripped and covered in black vulc :)

well guys I just bought another OM-1.

I had to have it because it came with a nice looking bag, the olympus leather case and strap (which I love, btw), a motor drive, a bunch of filters, a power pack, an extra focusing screen of some sort....

oh, and Im pretty sure it comes with a 40mm f2.0 :eek:

even if it doesnt, well I'm glad to have an extra body and all that other stuff.

well guys I just bought another OM-1.

I had to have it because it came with a nice looking bag, the olympus leather case and strap (which I love, btw), a motor drive, a bunch of filters, a power pack, an extra focusing screen of some sort....

oh, and Im pretty sure it comes with a 40mm f2.0 :eek:

even if it doesnt, well I'm glad to have an extra body and all that other stuff.

Awesome, congrats!

Thank you Roland. I did enjoy. The cases look pretty good and I'm particularly pleased by the other cameras you mention the OM case fits...
Did you try the full case on its own - without an underlying half case?

Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I've just bought an OM-4 all black in VERY good condition to join my OM-1 (black) and OM-2 (silver).

I really love these cams and enjoy shooting film much more than digital. I only wish I would take these marvels out a bit more for shooting :-(.

Cheers from Switzerland,
Rob

The very very very first image I ever printed in the darkroom was from an Olympus OM negative, and I still have (and treasure) the print:

Literary_Water__s_Edge_by_philosomatographer.jpg

(Olympus OM-1n, 50mm f/1.4 @ f/11, Ilford FP4+, 5x7in darkroom print)

The enlarger came with a filed-out negative carrier, and I have occasionally used it - border and all - ever since, but I try not to over-do it (only works for some images). Anyway, my OM-1 + 50/1.4 accompanied me on our honeymoon, and captured many treasured memories.​

Excellent picture, great story.

I have not been turning out masterpieces with my Zuiko 21mm f/2.0 recently, but even the snapshots make me realise how phenomenally lucky we are that a committed team of fanatical optical designer geniuses in the 1970s gave the the SLR world a gift that we would never have seen otherwise: The ultra-compact, ultra-fast, ultra-high-quality wide-angle lens. Every time I print a negative in the darkroom, it makes me smile.

taps_in_the_cab_by_philosomatographer-d4ayxiz.jpg

viewing_wild_dogs_by_philosomatographer-d4ayzgt.jpg

gea_cab_controls_by_philosomatographer-d4ayxky.jpg

We can probably say, with certainty, that we will never again see a retrofocus 21mm f/2.0 that covers 35mm, takes 55mm filters, has almost no distortion, has a floating system to correct for focusing down to 0.2m, and impeccable build quality.

Nor easily for rangefinders, mind you - a Summilux 21mm at $7000 ain't much good if it's physically much larger, has no less distortion, and only works on rangefinder cameras that don't allow any accuracy in composing close-up/intimate scenes (or focusing off-centre).

If wide-angle and/or low light is your thing, run out to buy this lens, even if it costs $1100 - before the good ones are gone for good.

I put up a little review of the new Zhou Olympus half case and his new full case under:

http://ferider.smugmug.com/Technical/Tests/New-Zhou-Cases/19292525_DpSn6k

Roland, the case looks great - excellent timing too, since my OM case is busy wearing out as it is. I am a happy Zhou case user for my Leica M3, and have absolutely no complaints. So I am sure the OM case will be as good.

I just contacted Zhou via the ebay store, to inquire about the possibility of a case *without* the self-timer cutout (as the 3Ti has no self-timer). Should be a simple modification for him during manufacturing.

Any OM-3Ti owners who think that they will feel left out when I flaunt my custom-made only-for-the-3Ti-snobbery-club (just kidding...) leather case, should perhaps also contact Mr. Zhou (via his eBay store) and ask him for such a version, might improve the chances of us actually getting it?

In the meantime, my 3Ti has a couple of problems, I need to courier it over to John Hermanson for a service ASAP. I've been nagging myself for months, but I really want to do this before year's end. It sucks not being able to use shutter speeds slower than 1/15th accurately, and the light meter/aperture coupling is wonky (luckily I don't use the built-in meter!).

Thank you Roland. I did enjoy. The cases look pretty good and I'm particularly pleased by the other cameras you mention the OM case fits...
Did you try the full case on its own - without an underlying half case?

Hi John,

I did try - but the full case is very loose without the underlying half case.

Thanks,

Roland.

someone just got a silvernosed 50mm f3.5 with caps and a case for 41 dollars on ebay.

I seriously would have bought it if I hadn't just shelled out for one.

is it bad that I'm so infatuated by this lens already? I'm seriously looking for another 1.1mil 50/1.4 but I have a feeling that even if it's a good copy I will be disappointed with it in comparison to the macro.

someone just got a silvernosed 50mm f3.5 with caps and a case for 41 dollars on ebay.

I seriously would have bought it if I hadn't just shelled out for one.

is it bad that I'm so infatuated by this lens already? I'm seriously looking for another 1.1mil 50/1.4 but I have a feeling that even if it's a good copy I will be disappointed with it in comparison to the macro.

Is it really that good..? Or do people just read about it and agree based on others' opinions? I personally like it from the little bit I've seen, but then it could just be the particular shot and subject matter, not necessarily the lens.

Is it really that good..? Or do people just read about it and agree based on others' opinions? I personally like it from the little bit I've seen, but then it could just be the particular shot and subject matter, not necessarily the lens.

that's what I aim to find out.

Back