On the road

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
7:27 PM
Photographs and words from a 5000km (3000 mile) tour of (mostly) Central Europe in June this year. Anyone thinking of travelling in the same area may find it useful, especially for an indication of prices. Note that then, the euro was over $1.40; now, it's under $1.30, so all prices are abiut 10% less for Americans. The weakening pound means the reverse for Britons.

http://www.semiadventuroustraveler.com/semi trip 0806 eastern europe.html

We carried 4 cameras: M8 and MP for me, M4P and Bessa-R2 for Frances. All the illustrations for the article are M8: an interesting example of the commercial usefulness of digital for illustration, as distinct from 'fine art'. Some are pretty bad, technically, especially the horse and cart, but again, content can trump pretty pictures at times.

Cheers,

Roger

For journalistic photography it's more important to be able to consistantly get a useable picture than to occasionally get a great one.

Ahhh...this is the thread I've been waiting for....

thanks, Roger and Frances!:D

Now that the weather is turning colder and the nights are longer, I have something to dream about again...motorcycle touring.

Kerouac didn't have fun like that, I know, I read his book, ugh. I like that motorcycle museum. I'll be in Europe, in '09 maybe I'll try for the East.

For journalistic photography it's more important to be able to consistantly get a useable picture than to occasionally get a great one.

It is seldom that I disagree philosophically with Al. Maybe it is because he used to shoot for money and I shoot for exhibit. Or maybe my "great" photos are his "usable" ones.

But I have no need for any more "usable" photos.

It is seldom that I disagree philosophically with Al. Maybe it is because he used to shoot for money and I shoot for exhibit. Or maybe my "great" photos are his "usable" ones.

But I have no need for any more "usable" photos.
Dear Bob,

Magazines and newspapers, on the other hand, do.

A large part of the purpose of pics is simply to break up a 'grey page' of solid text; half the pics in newspapers add nothing to the story unless (for example) you don't know what Sarah Palin looks like, and really want to find out.

Cheers,

Roger

Back