One more photo of the M8

Two thoughts have occurred to me in considering Jorge's pictures.

1. The 2.5" LCD looks to be shaped squarer than a 35mm frame (more like the screen on a Digilux 2). Since the PICTURES will be 2:3 format, this means there will be some extra space at top or bottom (or both). I could see this LCD having a shallow information strip across the bottom, either monochrome or color, separate from the image area, and separately on or off. Could even be a completely separate component within the same casing. Easily enough room for a alphanumeric status display of ISO, white balance, jpeg/RAW mode, compression, "user", "moire" filter, etc.

2. IF the eyepiece is actually larger (which may just be optical illusion) on the M8, I'm getting a premonition ("hunch") that perhaps there is now a separate area within the viewfinder and below (or above) the viewfinder area (a la many SLRs) with an LCD readout of shutter speed, ISO, exposures remaining, exposure compensation etc.) Just a little silver bar (or little silver numbers) totally outside the framelines. Which would eliminate the gaps in the wider framelines that have existed since the M6 was introduced to allow for the meter LEDs. Making for both a cleaner view of the subject, and clearer, more detailed finder info.

As Mark said - "The days dwindle down to a precious few..."

Last edited:
What was the name of the robot from the film the day the earth stood still.

I saw it when it was first on general release. The photos reminds me...

Noel

Mark, Well, I didn't get much from the DMR instructions, other than I hope they do the menus better.
Andy, I had forgotten about your industrial design exercise, but the use of the extra vertical area on the 4:3 LCD would be a natural. The frames for the 24mm would be at 32mm, inside the current 28mm lines on the 0.72 vf and with a 0.68 vf, there would be more border....informative border, that is...
BTW, I saw a link to a blog where someone from that French affair mentioned the price for the 28mm f/2.8 would be 1300 Eu. I wonder if Leica will do a kit thing with that lens?
Bob

Yeah, but will it play MP3s? And check my e-mail? What about GPS? Will it walk my dog? Wait, I don't have a dog. I ran out of things to pick on...

Back