One or more

Bill Pierce

Well-known
Local time
8:44 PM
The one clear advantage film photographers have over digital photographers is the simplicity and universality of camera controls, regardless of the model of camera. Pick up a rangefinder or a reflex, format of your choice, and the controls will be similar.

If you own more than one brand of digital camera, it’s almost a guarantee that the external controls of the cameras, an array of unmarked buttons and switches, are in different positions. While many functions can be duplicated between brands, that’s not always the case. Indeed, there are camera brands that have dissimilar controls and options between models.

That’s a big problem for folk who use a variety of digital cameras. You switch cameras and suddenly you have to think about what those buttons do. Kind of gets in the way of taking pictures.

I’ve done everything I can to make my dissimilar cameras similar. But it has taken a long time and is still evolving. It has eliminated the use of some features. And I still have to “practice” with different cameras to make sure I operate them without thinking about them. It’s odd to consider thinking as a negative, but in this case I do. Anybody share these problems? Any thoughts? Giving away all the cameras except one is not an acceptable solution.

I've not seen this precise point made before. Totally agree. Every now and then after changing lenses on the M2 or the Hasselblad I get a panic about forgetting to set set the lens in the lens menu. The M2 mode problems are the same as the Leica II, Olympus OM and the Pentax Spotmatic: is there film in the camera? Takes a second to check. Have I set the correct shutter speed and aperture? The end.

Whilst I have no Digital cameras beyond my smartphone, this is not an exclusively digital problem. The more modern film cameras have the same issues. If I get my F5 or F100 out, I have to have a quiet minute to familiarize myself after the digital detox of using my M6 or OM1n. Solution, I bought an F4. All old school interface with dials and buttons and not a screen or command wheel in sight.The last pro Nikon to be a no brainer in use.

I only shoot film and have full auto cameras but If I want utter simplicity I get out my Pentax SV and use the 'Sunny 16' rule for exposure measurement or, if I want a little more accuracy, I could slip the Pentax light meter on. If I didn't want the bulk of that combination I would turn to my Pentax MX instead. Trouble is, it's so small I keep losing it in the bottom of my camera bag. :bang:

Right now, I use Fuji and Nikon and occasionally a Ricoh GR. I'm comfortable with the Fujis and Nikons but I have to get reacquainted with the GR every single time I pick it up. That's because I don't use it as much and many controls are done with menus. With both the Fujis and Nikons, every model I've owned within the two brands pretty much operate the same with only a few differences.

Over the years, I've also used Canon, Olympus and Panasonic digital cameras. Canons were pretty simple to me. Olympus was easy for some models, impossible for others. Panasonic, I really don't recall because I only had one camera and I didn't keep it very long.

I believe Canons and Nikons were the most consistent in the control designs of their DSLRs. If you learned one, you knew all models decently enough to go out shooting with any of them.

Controls and buttons significance is totally overblown "problem" by gearheads.

In 99% all you need in any situation with any digital is to switch from P to Av, Tv or very rarely to M.
Use RAW and auto WB. Auto ISO is totally sufficient in modern and not too limited by ISO cameras.

And if you have so many cameras you can't remember how to use them, it is not photographer, but gearhead, collector problem.

Most all of my photography now is with Barnacks and they are all pretty much alike. I put a piece of masking tape on the bottom or lens cap with the type of film. If there is no tape, it is unloaded. Keeps it simple.

Just to confuse things a lot, occasionally I take my Hasselblad Super Wide on a shoot. I even have to cock the shutter on this antique.

Controls and buttons significance is totally overblown "problem" by gearheads.

In 99% all you need in any situation with any digital is to switch from P to Av, Tv or very rarely to M.
Use RAW and auto WB. Auto ISO is totally sufficient in modern and not too limited by ISO cameras.

And if you have so many cameras you can't remember how to use them, it is not photographer, but gearhead, collector problem.

The "problem" is that many of us inhabit a world with many more layers of subtly and nuance attached to the tools we use. You don't. No need to be so harsh about it.

Back