One Year Before Gentrification

giganova

Well-known
Local time
6:41 AM
This neighborhood in Washington, DC, is already surrounded by $1M condos, places where you can buy $6 lattés, the finest French pastries, custom motorcycles from hipser-beard guys, and the caterpillars are already standing by.

2015-10-30-0003_2.jpg

2016-04-01-0016_2.jpg

2015-10-30-0015_2.jpg

2016-04-16-0028_2.jpg

2016-04-01-0005_2.jpg

2016-04-01-0012_2.jpg

2016-04-01-0015_2.jpg

An beautiful record of a place that will soon be gone forever. Keep photographing as they move the people out and demolish these places, and build new stuff there. Will be interesting to see the changes over time.

I spent a while living in one of the old working class suburbs of inner-city Sydney as it went through the final stages of gentrification. It's a strange to have run-down old terraces selling for $2m AUD or more, while you still have council housing estates across the road.

Fantastic photos!

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing. Will you be putting together an exhibit? Please keep us posted and update this thread.

It looks more run down than the last time I was there, but I haven't been there in several years even though I only work about a mile from there. The family and I used to go there at least once a month or so back in the late 80's. Very interesting place and not so bad prices on Korean and Chinese foods, wholesale but also retail. We would try to stock up on things we wanted until our next visit. I think we used to park near or sometimes at the dock you show in the second photo.

The last time the wife and I were there it seemed to have shifted more to mid-eastern foods, which is not our thing. It looks like a lot of the stores have closed anyway.

The shift is understandable, there are many Korean and some Chinese supermarkets in the DMV. Many of them also sell African and mid-eastern foods. Hard competition as some of the supermarkets will also sell wholesale to local mom and pop stores (the few there are anymore) and restaurants.

Great shots. I really liked #1 and #7 in the first set, and #1, #2, and #4 in the second set. I had taken some of some of the more unusual shops, like a tofu factory and a miller shop, as well as some other places and the general hubbub. Unfortunately they didn't survive a house fire. I hope you will post more.

Back