One year with a Rolleiflex 2.8D

All my 2.8 models have Planar taking lenses except the 2.8C. It has a Xenotar taking lens.

Already owning 3.5F (six elements Planar version) I recently did not resist the temptation to buy 2.8D (with Xenotar), paid 750 EUR. I need to fix a few things - viewfinder magnifier was missing and the seller just added the one from 2.8E model which does not fit well, I need to figure out how to fix that. Slow speeds are ok in normal temperatures, but at below zero 1/4 and slower ones are not working well. For now I can live with that, but at some point in time will probably send it for CLA. So far I am enjoying my unplanned purchase, I hope it will not disappoint me.

Congratulations on the first year of photography with this camera, giving it new life.

I never thought I’d own a TLR, but then I realized such craftsmanship in mechanical cameras doesn’t exist anymore and the newest of the Rolleiflexes, discounting the made-for-collectors models, are 50 years old.

To me, the non-metered Rollei’s are the best - no need to worry about the eventual selenium cell failure and any mechanical repairs are so much easier when the complex meter linkage to shutter and aperture is absent.

With the D, you can choose to have the shutter and aperture linked to maintain constant EV, or you can choose to have them set independently. A nice feature.

I started with a 3.5F as you see here, I cover the meter with blackened paper when not in use in order to preserve it. However the 2.8D next to it is my favorite - I wish I had a hood for the lens.

The odd thing about using these is that I always feel like I’ve not held the camera steady at the moment of release - a feeling I don’t get with Hasselblads or RB67’s. Yet, every photo from the Rolleiflex has been sharp. I do have a proper strap now and some nice filters.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9785F24B-6CB8-4B93-9D63-13646ED97CB3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	321.8 KB ID:	4763151

The odd thing about using these is that I always feel like I’ve not held the camera steady at the moment of release - a feeling I don’t get with Hasselblads or RB67’s. Yet, every photo from the Rolleiflex has been sharp. I do have a proper strap now and some nice filters.

I had exactly the same experience. It took me a while to find a way of holding the 2.8D that felt as secure as my 500CM.

Yes, I’ve used Rolleis for almost 10 years now and recently bought into the Hasselblad system and the first thing I noticed was how much more secure the Hasselblad feels when triggering the shutter, but I know it’s all in my head as I can easily handhold the Rollei at least a stop slower compared to the Hasselblad. I think it’s the extra weight that makes it feel a little more secure even though the Rollei is the one that’s actually a bit better for handheld work.

I got the same model Rolleiflex 2.8D about six months ago, ran a test roll through it and lost interest as the EV lock on the shutter speed dial was broken/pushed-in making it very hard to turn the knob. However, I recently realized I could use the EV button the aperture knob to disable the lock and change the shutter speed with my right hand. And so I start shot some more rolls with it and I've been loving it.

This isn't my first dalliance with a TLR or a Rolleiflex but it's nice to have a lens as sharp as a Planar ...

Congratulations on the first year of photography with this camera, giving it new life.

filedata/fetch?id=4763151&d=1640642737

Add me to the list; I've had the same experience. The Hasselblad sits solidly in the palm of my hand, while the Rollei feels like I'm jerking it when I click the shutter. I hold either camera in my left hand, with my left index finger on the shutter release. The sidewise action of the Rollei T release makes it feel better. Then again, the mirror slap of the Hasselblad makes it seem like there should be camera movement, but even so it feels steadier than the Rollei.

Those are some nice looking Rolleis, BTW. Every so often I seem to want another Rollei, having sold my T a few years ago. This thread, and the pictures, is reawakening the urge!

Back