Opinions on a Request to use one of my Flickr Images

raydm6

Yay! Cameras! 🙈🙉🙊┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘ [◉"]
Local time
7:36 PM
I wonder if I could ask your opinions:

I received a request this morning from a Flickr user (Joined Nov. 2022 but no content on his page) for permission to use one of my Flickr images of Jaco Pastorious for a unreleased concert video he will be releasing this Thursday. I am ok with it but was wondering your opinions on this.

I did reply back to give me a little more info on the project and where will the video be available to view. Still waiting for a reply.

Here is his message:
...I run a project dedicated to preserving the life and music of bassist Jaco Pastorius. This Thursday (Dec. 21st), I'll upload a previously unreleased solo concert recording, and would like to use your photo of Jaco as the video's background image. This is the photo I'm talking about:

I heard back and it seems like a very legit project and he is offering to credit me with the photo. Perhaps use my Flickr handle for the credit?

The project is named Jaco Pastorius Archive, and you can find it on the following platforms:

Instagram: www.instagram.com/jacoarchive/
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@JacoPastoriusArchive
Facebook: www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100093220067265

The video would be uploaded to YouTube, similar to this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZGYMnM1NQs.

I have accepted sometimes and declined sometimes. And have probably been inconsistent. In Canada, where the film-maker sometimes get government grants for such projects, I sometimes wonder why they have money for catering but not for photographs they use. But that’s probably just pique. This looks like something I’d give my consent for. I would also make a note of what you’d given consent for. A few years ago I’d given someone consent to use a photo of a musician I’d photographed, only to embarrassinglay written some time afterward to the person questioning his use of it:)

I have been generous allowing those who ask to use any of my work for NONCOMMERCIAL purposes, with or without credit.

I have never allowed anyone to use any of my work for commercial purposes. That involves payment where we disagree on the value of my work, so I don't even bother to begin anymore.

Thanks @sevres_babylone and @Bob Michaels.

I gave him permission but now he want's my real name and also for me to open my downloads for him (or email him an image) but I don't know if he is who he says he is now. I know nothing about who this person is. He's a bit anonymous and not contacting me through the Instagram or Facebook entities - just the generic Flickr account that is basically vacant.

Also, there are no photo credits on any of the material/videos he has posted in the links above so far, so I'm a bit suspicious of giving out my personal information at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @sevres_babylone and @Bob Michaels.

I gave him permission but now he want's my real name and also for me to open my downloads for him (or email him an image) but I don't know if he is who he says he is now. I know nothing about who this person is. He's a bit anonymous and not contacting me through the Instagram or Facebook entities - just the generic Flickr account that is basically vacant.

Also, there are no photo credits on any of the material/videos he has posted in the links above so far, so I'm a bit suspicious of giving out my personal information at this point.

(MODS - please fix my typo in the title above from "Fickr" to "Flickr". Thanks).
If he wants to know who you are, you can ask who he is.

Do you know where he is?

I would get agreement that you will receive credit and that the image won’t be used commercially. It seems strange for him to want to know who you are but not to say who he is.

Marty

I don’t know what he means by open your downloads. I have emailed the relatively small sized jpeg I had uploaded to Flickr,, but that’s it, except in one instance where it was a museum, and they were paying (No, I don’t think it’s hanging there, but is is likely buried in a drawer; they wanted it for the subject, not for my “art”).

Back