Opinions on the Contaflex System?

das

Well-known
Local time
7:57 AM
Hey! I have been poking around the internet on this topc, but looking for some more opinions from current shooters. Does anyone have experience and opinions on the Zeiss Contaflex SLR system? In particular, the later metered ones like the Super BC and Contaflex S. I know that the range of lenses is fairly limited. Having never held one, I was wondering about things like durability, viewfinder brightness, the accuracy of the meter, the quality of the lenses, which metered models that one would recommend, etc.. Would also welcome any negative opinions on them as well! :).

I'm really not familiar at all with the later metered models, which are the ones you're looking at. Having a through-lens meter would be a substantial improvement over the earlier cameras, which have selenium meters separate from the viewfinder. I can speak from my experience with the IV and the Super (earlier version). They're really quite well made cameras, like what you'd expect from Zeiss Ikon. Leaf-shutter SLRs are quite complicated and I understand quite hard to fix, especially nowadays, but the Contaflexes are probably as good as you're going to get in a leaf-shutter 35mm SLR. So be sure to check the shutter thoroughly -- make sure the shutter opens in the correct sequence at all speeds. If it isn't working right, move on.

As noted, materials and workmanship are top-notch. Solid and well-finished cameras. In terms of handling, my experience (again, with older Contaflexes) is that the view screen is a little dim -- you need to rely on the microprism and split screen for focusing; images don't "pop" into focus. That's of course partly down to the relatively slow lenses. I'm not a fan of the focusing mechanism itself -- there are a couple of knobs on the focusing ring, more or less opposite each other, that work in "seesaw" fashion. It requires a different grip, with basically your index fingers resting on those knobs and your thumbs under the camera. As you note, lenses are limited. I have the 85 Pro-Tessar and it's kind of the antithesis of the compact form factor of the camera with the 45mm Tessar mounted. So it's kind of like having an SLR but limited to the lens options of a Leica M2, which kind of defeats the purpose of an SLR, in my view. Optically the lenses are great, as you'd expect. There is a set of four push-on closeup lenses that provide great versatility, much like a Rolleinar.

Like an Exakta (or a Hasselblad), the mirror is not instant return, so you have to wind the shutter in order to look through the viewfinder. The IV has a Contax-style wind knob. I actually like that better than the Super's stubby rapid wind lever, which is a long throw and doesn't provide good leverage. I think the later Contaflexes have that lever also.

In short -- the whole leaf-shutter SLR concept has limitations, but these are probably the best of the breed. So be aware of the compromises inherent in the design. And there are ergonomic shortfalls in the Contaflex design that you'll need to be aware of. Maybe they won't be much of a drawback for you, but definitely play with the camera and see what you think.

I assume this would not be your only system; it's too limited for exclusive use, I think.

Hope this is helpful.

Reactions: das
Agree with KoNickon's assessment...these are really well-built and pretty nice in-use, but limited focal lengths.

The 50mm tessar of the later models is better than the 45mm (at least in my view), the cameras got successively bigger, the ones with TTL metering are more convenient (looks great in black and does indeed brass). I find the focusing to be reasonably bright, but you can only focus with the center portion of the VF.

I actually really like the Contaflex series, somewhat underrated in my view, nice Zeiss optics, convenient form-factor (if a bit heavy), and attractive to boot.

As far as additional accessories for the versions with 50mm lens, there is a 'macro' front lens, the 35, 85 and 115 attachments, and you can also easily find film backs that allow you to change film mid roll provided you have two of them.

These are generally pretty reliable cameras with exception of the leaf shutter having the common problem of getting 'sticky". A pretty straightforward fix if handy, and the flakiness of the selenium meters on the older versions, you will occasionally run into a tight focus ring from old lube

I see these going for relatively small sums of money and they provide good bang for the buck IMHO.

I'm a ZI fan but have never taken to the Contaflex series of cameras. I am much more prone to ZI's later acquisition of Voigtlander and the whole Bessamatic/Ultramatic series which gives you a greater range of lenses, although not terribly fast, or many, unless you adapt some of the Schneider lenses made for Kodak Retina Reflex. My fave is the Ultramatic CS w/50 F2 Septon. Leaf shutter cameras and not much bigger than the later Contaflexs with tele-lens attached.
IMHO

I had a Contaflex IV. It had the 50/2.8 and I had the 35 & 80, the shutter was good, the meter was dead so I used a hand held meter. Good images from all three lenses. I liked the ergos, the screen was excellent for the era, and Zeiss quality is always exquisite. I never had trouble and never needed any repairs to my memory.

I used it for about a year and liked it but then moved on as I was in a place where I churned through many many systems. When I sold it I got into my Kiev/Contax kick and honestly that had far more quirks than that Contaflex IV.

I loved Contaflexes until I got a Super (new) with a dead lightmeter
Ergonomics were good, but the system was too quirky for my taste
After being used to Japanese SLRs the non-return mirror was a turn off and the camera was very heavy
I ran a couple of rolls and has been gathering dust since

I had a couple of very nice Contaflex Super B cameras that I enjoyed but I just didn't use them enough so I sold them off during one of my occasional purges. They took great photos but I don't really miss them as the interchangeable lens system was a bit difficult to work with.

I did keep the Contaflex II that Chris Sherlock overhauled for me because it was more compact than the others. I pull it out and use it from time to time. The little Tessar 45mm is a sweet little lens and very easy to use, but it is very similar to the many other Tessar lenses of that focal range designed and built by Zeiss so I don't think they provide anything particularly special that you cannot get elsewhere. In fact the Agfa Solinar copy of the tessar found on the Agfa Silettes is probably the equal to the lens on the Contaflex and that camera is a bit easier to use in my opinion. Certainly easier to repair.

Believe it or not I find the Teleskop 1.7 adaptor lens and the fact that the leaf shutter will fire a flash at any shutter speed to be the special part of this camera system. It is my favorite portrait set up of almost all my cameras. Attaching the Teleskop adaptor to that nifty liffle 45mm Tessar makes a great 85mm portrait lens and I can fill flash at any shutter speed I want. This was the biggest reason that I kept the Contaflex II. I don't use it a lot but when I do I am almost guaranteed a great portrait if I do my part.

I use mine from time to time as much to keep the shutter working as anything but I do like the camera quite well and do enjoy the results.

I had a Super (new) with a working selenium meter and the 50,35 and 85mm lenses. Of these the 50 was easily the best the 35 not bad and the 85 not that good. I'm afraid I've no jpegs to show the results but from the 50mm almost always very good. A very well built camera.
I sold it for not much after it lay on a shelf unused for over a year. I'm not a collector and three cameras, one unused, was one too many.

Back