Ordered a Lytro "Shoot Now Focus Later" Camera

If you own a Mac and want to install the the latest upgrade you cannot buy the disk, download is the only way.
Here are 9 more ways you will be impacted buy the cloud.

1. The Post Office
[etc.pp.]

If you lift text off another web site, it would be a good idea to credit them for it. I think your text is originally from http://www.rense.com/general90/wayout.htm.

The camera is 41x41x112 mm.
That means that - according to the company's illustration - the diagonal of the lens at its max is about 36-38mm.
They say that the lens has constant aperture of F2.
That means that the focal range is about 9/10 to 72/76 mm but perhaps much lesser.
To me it says that it has a very small sensor, so there must be "artificial" blurring - and then refocusing.

However nice toy...

nemjo

In the future - everything will be in the cloud. It's the only way piracy can be prevented and it will open up the market for users.

I hope China or next big labour country will still supply components (mainly, storage and hacked chips) to build real computers not only net-wired appliances which will be given to people for free to spy them. Then for fair sum one will get connected to Net bypassing corporate hubs and services. There still will be some kind of plain Net as we can use it today but it will take more efforts, time and money to reach it. Some people will abandon use of Net altogether if it will become corporate fascism. Finally, people will return to basics. That's how I see future.

In the very next post you complain about platform debates; is your last sentence a joke?

It's not an insult (at least, not a serious one); it's a very real question about the etymology of a linguistic quirk. And as I mentioned above, I currently use Windows machines of several generations (v. 3.0* to 7), Macs, Linux boxes, and remote UNIX servers. In the past I've used DOS machines, CP/M, Apple I (one!) and II, Lisa (a couple of times), Metaphor (almost exclusively for three months; gorgeous system), and I even got to use a Xerox Star workstation on a couple of occasions. I'm relatively platform-agnostic.

*The 3.0 machine is an embedded computer that runs the dynamic light scattering spectrometer in my laboratory. A dinosaur, but it still works and replacement of the machine would be a cool $50k, better spent elsewhere. We are still moving data by floppy disk onto our,um, more contemporary machines. I'm going to have to come up with backup hardware and media soon. We also have systems running XP, NT, etc.

Last edited:
You can use phone cards with your mobile phone. You can use your computer for long distance... i.e. there are alternatives.

Yeah, right. I have a 'flat fee' phone deal whereby I can call just about anywhere for a standard monthly fee. I've therefore no incentive to piddle around with phone cards or Skype.

To return to the thread, this really does strike me as very limited. Yes, there are probably a very few applications (such as surveillance photography) where the Lytro might offer slight advantages over some of the alternatives. But I can't see where I, or most other photographers I know, would find this useful: low-res, on-screen-only, proprietary format...

Perhaps its advocates could enlighten the rest of us as to why they are interested? I mean, one might regard it as 'neat' or 'cool' or some other teenage adjective, but what are you going to do with it?

Cheers,

R.

Interesting- this is the first camera that has made me really interested in digital imaging. I've never wanted to be one of the first to own new technology before- I prefer to let others be the beta market test guinea pigs-but if this works, it could be really interesting. I'm in line for one of the first batch- small, unprintable, proprietary format files be damned. This could be fun.

What the hell's fun got to do with it ... this is serious stuff? :D

No new technology is about to sneak under the radar around here without thorough anlalysis!

What the hell's fun got to do with it ... this is serious stuff? :D

No new technology is about to sneak under the radar around here without thorough anlalysis!

... I thought we criticised new technology, rather than analysed it ... or maybe that's just me

OMG! This can only mean that...auto-focusing is dead! So is manual focusing. Which means that any means of focusing is dead.

Focusing is dead. Long live focusing!

Lists are not dead....

Lists are not dead....

Perhaps its advocates could enlighten the rest of us as to why they are interested?

This new technology, if properly further developed, has an enormous potential. For me, as an amateur photographer, it promises me the following simple improvements:
(list)
1. No focussing while taking a picture (of moving objects, especially). No frontfocus, backfocus, focus shift. Real-time action.
2. Exactly defining yourself in postprocessing where the focus is and how deep the DOF of your photo must be. Think of Macro, 'art'-photography.
3. Lens wide open possible with large DOF, think of low light photography or diffraction problems, moving objects.

But indeed, what we need is: high resolution, portability, output in standard formats. It's gonna take some time.

Last edited:
This new technology, if properly further developed, has an enormous potential. For me, as an amateur photographer, it promises me the following simple improvements:

1. No focussing while taking a picture (of moving objects, especially). No frontfocus, backfocus, focus shift. Real-time action.
2. Exactly defining yourself in postprocessing where the focus is and how deep the DOF of your photo must be. Think of Macro, 'art'-photography.
3. Lens wide open possible with large DOF, think of low light photography or diffraction problems, moving objects.

But indeed, what we need is: high resolution, portability, output in standard formats. It's gonna take some time.

No argument there!

Cheers,

R.

I've therefore no incentive to piddle around with phone cards or Skype.

My brother works for a small but rapidly growing web startup (many of you have heard of it). They use Skype for telephony, video conferencing, and internal text messaging. No hard telephone lines at all. For better or worse, wired telephones are an old-people thing.

My brother works for a small but rapidly growing web startup (many of you have heard of it). They use Skype for telephony, video conferencing, and internal text messaging. No hard telephone lines at all. For better or worse, wired telephones are an old-people thing.

Or still appropriate in places like Oz where internet reliability is marginal in many areas! Some friends of mine nearby went back to their landline recently for this reason.

Hopefully this will change with the current plan to upgrade to fibre optic but you can't cover a country like Australia with this type of service so satelite (which is crap IMO) will fill the gaps.

Cell phones are great for short talks, for coordinating - hi, will be there in five minutes, please wait for me. Wired phones are great for long chats (when peer doesn't has internet telephone).

Those believing cell phones are troublefree - good luck! Technologies are sold for profit not because they care for people.

Back