Our Toys

Agree with Ko.Fe. I've learnt most things here. I remember the hype over the forthcoming X100. The camera itself exceeded the hype. Terrific little machine. And here we had power users exploring the menus and functions and discussing the limitations and advantages and optimum settings etc etc. I compiled a lot of that and kept it in a separate text file as a sort of uber-manual.

It's hard to have the patience to sit through a camera review on Youtube. Invariably far too much talking to camera and gesticulating with camera, picking it up, putting it down, further unnecessary and distracting hand gestures etc etc and still they talk. I push the slider to 75% of the duration and the guy is still talking to camera. I saw a brilliantly edited loading of a Hasselblad on Instagram at the weekend. Not ten seconds from start to finish.

Ken Rockwell's lens "reviews" (they'd really be described more accurately as "write ups" or maybe "listings") feature one metric that I've never seen from any other reviewer, past or present: Noise When Shaken.
For that originality he deserves some credit.

Since I don't buy new equipment very often, I don't read too many reviews. Generally a spec sheet will tell me what I need to know.

As someone who spends way too much time on YouTube, watching camera and lens reviews and other things, I like:
  • Gerald Undone - for a facts based, technical exploration of camera image quality and operation.
  • https://www.youtube.com/c/geraldundone
  • The Hybrid Shooter - he mainly reviewed high end micro four thirds cameras, Fuji aps-c, as well as some full frame cameras from Sony, Panasonic and Nikon, and has now gone completely to full frame. He is another no-fluff reviewer, no loud bombastic presentation style, just helpful and useful facts about the camera, image quality and operation.
  • https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHybridShooter
  • Mattias Burling - he often reviews old digital cameras, hunting for bargains and putting them through their paces. He doesn't get the latest and greatest, nor is he one of the pool of embargo reviewers. He's a big fan of the Ricoh GR series.
  • https://www.youtube.com/c/mattiasburling
  • Pav SZ - a reviewer who does get embargoed products, but he's honest and straightforward, and takes decent sample images.
  • https://www.youtube.com/c/PavSZ
I don't like:
  • Matt Granger - his voice drives me bananas, his video presentation/editing started awful and continues to be awful, and many of his videos are clickbait
  • Tony and Chelsea Northrup - speaking of clickbait, yeah. Not to mention the occasional product slam because he didn't get invited to the press events (cough Panasonic cough)
  • Matti Haapoja - another clickbait merchant
  • Eric Kim - he's clearly gone nuts, posting dozens of videos of himself working out, cooking meat, going on self indulgent ramblings about philosophy. Literally nuts.

I don’t ever recall seeing a toy review as a kid which is when I stopped playing with those.

As far as who I trust to “review” the tools I am interested in, it is usually folks I know who earn a living with it like my colleagues at AP, various advertising and corporate guys and any of my other 3 dozen or so fellow photographers who have took the plunge before I did.

The Internet Gear Review Heros and Boobtube stars? I don’t give them a first let alone second glance…

I don't generally read many reviews, and I watch most of the YT gear reviews for the comedy they represent. One reviewer whose "impressions" I love is Jono Slack ... I've been reading his reviews for years and know what kinds of things he responds to, and find his impressions often in line with mine and with reality. But I don't read anyone's reviews as any more than supplementary to my own evaluation once I get some gear in hand.

So how do I evaluate what gear I might purchase? Simple:
  • Outline what I'm looking for
  • Read the specifications for the camera and its accessories
  • Download and read all the press info and manuals as they come available
  • When a YT review comes along, watch what the reviewer does, not listen to what they opine
Then ... I receive what I decided to try and start my own evaluation. That usually takes me several months/a lot of exposures in use, although of course I have my first impressions, etc. If I like something enough, I keep using it and/or keep it on the shelf even after not using it for a while. If I don't like something, I sell it (or return it if I'm within the return period, which is rare).

G

It's nice and easy to consullt the rockwell page if a lens or camera comes up that I might like to buy....and I'm not familiar enough to make a reasonable decision. His stuff helps a bit. It has saved me a lot of time combing through endless BS. I like Steve Huff but to be truthful, I also like reading his audio stuff, even though I can't afford 99% of it. Photography and Hi Fi Audio reviews are sort of aiming at similar proclivities. 35mmc (Hamish) often has interesting views and in the past I used to lurk in Bellamy's website /blog. Youtubes are of little help for me in general but I've run across a few that really put me on the right path. I also enjoy repair techs who write blogs about cameras they like or don't like....cameras they love or hate to repair....or refuse to repair.

Back