P&S cams- worth putting up with???

I don’t mind a film GR1v and a GR21 if they weren’t so darn expensive and who can fix them? They are just about perfect in snap mode.

I keep a free Olympus Stylus around at the house for guests to document during house parties or dinners (pre-Covid, that is). The Stylus is a good camera but I personally wouldn't spend more than $50 for one.

I keep a free Olympus Stylus around at the house for guests to document during house parties or dinners (pre-Covid, that is). The Stylus is a good camera but I personally wouldn't spend more than $50 for one.

These days you need to be lucking out at small town thrift stores to get one for that......

The only 35mm point-and-shoot camera I own these days is a Fuji Nature S Black, which is a truly amazing camera. I'm sure it's worth quite a bit of money now, but I just can't bring myself to sell it yet.

Fellow Natura Black user! It's amazing what these go for online.

I've used my IIIf as a P&S with decent results: set at f8 or f11, hyper-focal distance focus, and SBOOI viewfinder.

P&S camera prices are insane now. And, yes, most are not repairable at this point. So I opt for something that's compact, but slower to use: a Kodak Retina IIa.

The Retina IIa is a good choice for a robust compact P&S sans a battery.

I also still own a Leica AF-C1 (based off the Minolta Tele-Super) and it is a very convenient P&S.

8128110957_6f38fbfd92_d.jpg

The AF-C1 (not to be confused with the later Leica C1) was Leica's first compact autofocus camera. It had a twin-focal length, switchable from 40 mm f/2.8 normal lens to 80 mm f/5.6 portrait lens. It was fully based on the Minolta AF-Tele Super. The difference was the Leica's nicer body design and the 40mm instead 38mm as shorter focal length.
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Leica_AF-C1

These days you need to be lucking out at small town thrift stores to get one for that......

I found one for 50% off. Original price was 99 cents used. Two Konica Big Minis for $5 and $6.

Worth putting up with? I’d say yes for the three above until they don’t work. Images are plenty sharp with very good color. I wouldn’t pay todays prices though. That I won’t put up with.

I look for several things when I go to a thrift store. Compact film cameras, vintage HP calculators, and records. Compact cameras are getter scarcer. HP calculators rare. Records are plentiful but you have to spend time sorting and checking condition.

I picked up a Yashica t4 awhile back and while it works great and takes wonderful photos, there are compromises- it has noticeable shutter lag and a squinty finder.

P&S will always be a compromise. Currently I have Rollei 35S and Contax T. I love the IQ from both, but in a way they are not P&S. I used to have T2 and Rollei 35AF (aka Fuji Klasse) - those were much faster, but the AF was hit and miss especially when in hurry. My closest version to fast P&S is Hexar AF although it also has limitations and is not that small.

My Konica Big Mini HG works well, and has a nice lens. It has compromises, but for the most part I can work with it. I mainly use it as a last minute travel camera. I have an old Hawkeye Brownie that may be working. This would be a previous generation's P&S.

I agree with Deardorff38, never spend more than $50 for a P&S. Even the high end ones will fail, myself I've got a Nikon 35TI and a Contax T in a drawer; both un-repairable. For small pocket-able cameras I've acquired a Zeiss Tenax I and a Zeiss Ikonta 35. The mechanical cameras stand a better chance of being repairable in the foreseeable future. For those with slightly big pockets I would like to recommend a camera that I think is somewhat overlooked, the Yashica AF-j, also known as the Yashica Ninja Star. The 32mm 1:3.0 lens is very good and also nice for those looking for a P&S with a wide lens.

I picked up a cheap Fuji Discovery 90 recently and having lots of fun with it.
Will come in handy for the next couple of months as I sustained a broken collarbone due to a bike accident so I cant hold a camera with both hands at the moment.

If pocketable cameras are the topic, then I will go with my Retina IIIc. Not quite a P&S (though I get the concept of zone focus, and sunny 16), but mechanical where it counts (plus a reasonable selenium meter). I would normally also pocket a light meter. Fortunately I usually have enough pockets. :)

When I was in my 30's and recently divorced I got a lot of use out of a Fuji DL-200. I was also getting into cycling at that time and had the road racer type shirts with the pockets on the back. I'd put the DL-200 in a ziplock bag and slip it neatly into the shirt pocket then off I'd go on my bike for a long photo journey. Eventually I wore that camera out.

All the best,
Mike

Back