page on Karat 36

wes loder

Photographer/Historian
Local time
9:27 PM
I have uploaded a new page to my blog on the Agfa Karat 36 cameras. <wesloderandnikon.blogspot.com/2020/11/the-karat-36-agfas-top-of-line-35mm.html>

Enjoy. Let me know what you think. WES

Nice writeup and shots. The split image rangefinder on the Karat 36 is nice for off center subjects without always having to focus and recompose.

I like it more than the later Karat IV rangefinder.

50564442341_2a3b8019e9_c.jpg

On the flip side I prefer the viewfinder positioning on the Karat IV though.

50564579832_4048c1c7e8_c.jpg

Shawn

Nice blog I'll bookmarked it. I had a Agfa Silette, I think that was the name but like you it had a leak in the bellows. I gave it to a classic Porshe owner, and he used it a car shows.

Nice write-up, Wes. I got into the little Agfa folders when I rescued one from an junk store. I could tell it needed some intensive repair, so I got to work on it right away. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjyUvJs5

After four rolls though the bellows started to pop some leaks, so I gave up on fixing the ones I got before that happened which had the other lenses (Apotar and Solagon).

Nice cameras, but the bellows are definitely their weak point.

PF

I have studied your post on the shutter repair. I have another Karat right now. Shutter is in perfect working order, but the focus is frozen and I can't get the the back rings out to extract the shutter and access the helicoid. The bellows has leaks as well, so I gave up. Too bad, shutter sounds sweet.

I'm working on an Ansco Karomat 36, with the split rangefinder. Very cool camera. I also have the problem of not being able to remove the shutter and the front standard extension spring needs to be reset so it springs out.
Looking forward to using it, I love the 5cm Xenon lenses.

Phil Forrest

Wes, your Ambi-Silette write up is the definitive go to for that late 1950's replacement for the Karat series. I have always been curious as to whether the later top-shelf Solagon was a Rodenstock Heligon with an Agfa badge.

I have seen discussion elsewhere as to the source of the Agfa optics. No one seems to be sure who made the agfa branded lenses. The Solagon certainly has a nice reputation. Too bad Agfa never made a version for the Ambi Silette (perhaps the mount would not permit it).

I have the Agfa Karat Soligon 50mm f2.0 When I purchased it the focus was extremely tight. basically unusable. I tried several options that was recommended but they did not work for more than a day. Then I tried Nikonos grease and it has been smooth as butter for a year and half.

I have studied your post on the shutter repair. I have another Karat right now. Shutter is in perfect working order, but the focus is frozen and I can't get the the back rings out to extract the shutter and access the helicoid. The bellows has leaks as well, so I gave up. Too bad, shutter sounds sweet.

A member of a now defunct forum I belonged to made a sleeve of bellows material to fit over the area where the lens/shutter mount extends. He had them for sale, but I never bought one thinking I didn't have a need until it was too late. Shouldn't be hard to fabricate one.

PF

Reference above: Lubrication with Nikonos grease: 1. Extend the lens house out as if to photograph. 2. Turn focus to minimum. You will see black treads between the the focus ring and the shutter speed ring. 3. Add small amount of Nikonos grease in that area. 4. Focus the back and forth. 5. Wipe excess grease off. (SMALL AMOUNT OF GREASE IS SUFFICIENT.)

Dealing with a Karat 36 with extremely stiff focusing myself. I don't understand where you're saying to put the grease. The "black treads" you're referring to sound like the wavy pattern on the outside of the shutter housing -- typical on the Synchro-Compur. I can't see how putting grease there will do anything. Can you clarify? Thanks.

Latecomer... I got a Karat 12 (almost same as 36 but for the funky 12 exp karat cartridges) and it is a very interesting camera.
Thanks for the write up, it is very nicely done

PS The AmbiSilette is top notch! I have both versions
I 3D printed a rewind lever that goes on top the the rewind wheel and helped a lot

Back