Panasonic G9 II - the best hybrid m43 camera so far

Archiver

Mentor
Local time
6:15 AM
Ten years ago, a Panasonic GH4 retailed for about $1500 AUD. Today, a GH6 retails for $3700 with a street price of $2800, so with any luck, the newly announced G9 II will drop from the expected retail of $3300 to around $2500 over time. Only a few days ago, I was mulling over the future of m43 in my kit, and whether I should stop investing in high end lenses and put that money towards fleshing out my L mount kit.

The G9 II body is completely different from the old G9/S1 style, now using the S5 II body. It's essentially a micro four thirds version of the S5 II, with phase detect hybrid AF, and all the video codecs of the more expensive GH6, but without the latter's ability to pump out raw video through HDMI. The picture profiles even include v-log, which was an extra purchase with the G9 and S1. I'm a bit disappointed that they changed to this body style, as I love the top display on the G9.

Reviews so far are very positive, with the issues of poor dynamic range in stills in lower ISO's being solved, and autofocus being the best in a m43 camera ever, perhaps even better than the OM Systems OM-1. It will track people, animals, even cars and motorbikes.

Action and birds in flight photographers will love the 60fps raw burst mode with pre-shutter buffer capture, and the two UHS II card slots should handle the data input well. Wedding and event photographers will note that the G9 II's ability to lock on to a subject like bride or groom is greatly improved over previous models.

I love my G9, but I'd also love better autofocus, as well as 4k 120p in 10bit 420 with v-log, which the G9 II has. This will really elevate the video work I do, but will also mean buying more 128GB cards, or using a SSD for video capture, another feature of this very well specced camera. Phase detection might also mean that Canon EF lenses will focus better via Speedbooster, it's a brave new world.

I wont preorder, but will likely get one after a year or so, when prices come down and bugs are sorted out, and that will set me up for another four or five years at least. The G9 II answers my questions about the future of m43 in my workflow.

I have mixed reaction about it.

My wife keeps telling me to record videos for Russian speaking audience due to my life experience or just to switch me from only watching YT :).
Yesterday. I have tried it with my current phone, which I like as phone. Cheap, rugged, heavy Android by Ulefone.
I got fancy mount frame, two external microphones and ..., frame is very small, microphones are not working. They do on iPhone (which I want to stay away from).

So, I slapped wireless microphone and regular one on K-3. It is lovely, old camera. HD 60p is good, .... , no focus peaking in video recording. Regular microphone in auto level produces lots of noise.

So, it is funny to see one day fresh Panasonic camera today. In the broadcast Panasonic is known for sometime as cheaper equipment.

G9 II for 1900 USD ? ....
Huge S5 body and no vent for heat, no support for heavy video during hot days? ....
Image quality? Look at this .... in 100%

Interesting how two most common bad English words are four characters only.

G9 II for 1900 USD ? ....
Huge S5 body and no vent for heat, no support for heavy video during hot days? ....
Image quality? Look at this .... in 100%
The image quality of the jpeg is moot as it is a. a preproduction sample, b. dependent on the lens and c. an in-camera jpeg where most users would probably shoot raw. The only camera with which I shoot jpegs is my phone, everything else is raw whenever possible.

The G9 II isn't intended for heavy video use in challenging conditions like hot weather, that's what the GH6, S5 II and S1H are for. But even so, the G9 II body has a large internal heat sink (same as the S5 II), and YouTubers testing video recording times find that the camera will record until the battery runs out in continuous 21 degree environments and half an hour to an hour in around 25 degree weather. The longest thing I would shoot with the G9 II is a long form interview, which could be 45 minutes to an hour, and this would be in a cool environment, so I'm not concerned about that.

Back