Pen-F µ4/3 Problems and Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggieo

More Deadly
Local time
7:35 AM
I just got a Pen-F, hoping to use it while my M9-P heads off for a months-long vacation in New Jersey.

It's gorgeous and the files are just as great. But there's a problem.

The focus point refuses to lock after a half-press of the shutter! I've got it set up just like my E-M5mkII, with the single focus point right in the center, just like my Leica. So I focus on the subject, half-press the shutter to hold focus and then recompose.

But, instead of immediately taking a photo, the camera starts up its auto-focus again, picks something different to focus on, and then, after a half-second or more delay, trips the shutter.

It doesn't matter if I'm using the back screen or the viewfinder with the screen turned inward and hidden.

I've had the Pen-F for hours and it's driving me batty. I've read the manual, I've searched on Google and none of the answers work.

Help!

You've probably tried this already, but I'd double check that you're in S-AF or S-AF/MF focus, and make sure that face detect is off.
Also, in the drive mode, make sure that you aren't in one of the anti-shock modes, that can add a delay.
Oh! and check the custom functions and make sure that you're in focus priority mode for S-AF, and that you aren't set up for back button focus.

That's all I got.

-B.

You've probably tried this already, but I'd double check that you're in S-AF or S-AF/MF focus, and make sure that face detect is off.
Also, in the drive mode, make sure that you aren't in one of the anti-shock modes, that can add a delay.
Oh! and check the custom functions and make sure that you're in focus priority mode for S-AF, and that you aren't set up for back button focus.

That's all I got.

-B.

Shoot. Same here.

It's so weird for the focus to lock on half-press but then start all over again on a full press.

What lens are you using? If it si the 17 1.8 and similar Oly lenses with push pull clutch, check you might be in the manual focus mode.

What lens are you using? If it si the 17 1.8 and similar Oly lenses with push pull clutch, check you might be in the manual focus mode.

I've tried it with all of my primes. Even the Lumix 25/1.4 Summilux.

I'm not in manual focus mode.

What happens is I target my focus point, lock it with a half press and then recompose the shot.

Then, when I fully depress the shutter, instead of tripping the shutter, the camera re-focuses on whatever is in the center and then trips the shutter.

Olympus has a customer service phone number that you can call and they will walk you through the steps to resolve the problem - that is if it is resolvable - and this seems like something that ought to work. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps
darya

OK, I think I've solved it.

Ris Priority needs to be turned on, allowing out-of-focus exposures. I guess that the camera freaked out when the focus point wasn't in focus and needed to refocus.

Maybe this can be used as a general bug/problem/support thread for all things Pen-F?

I tried to edit the title, but was unable to do so. Stephen? Little help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back