Pentacon Super

valdas

Mentor
Local time
2:38 PM
I have an opportunity to buy Pentacon Super in near mint condition, with 20/2.8 lens for 450€ EUR. I can find some info on internet, but not much. I will inspect the camera in person in a couple of days. Any tips from current/former owners at what to look at? I know I will not shoot much with it, it’s more of a display item, but nevertheless…

Wow, never saw a 20/2.8 Flektogon lens before. The Pentacon became the Kiev 6C (which I have), then the 60. If working well I'd jump on it. Big clunky 6x6 camera but so many relatively cheap fantastic lenses available. I'd check that the lens is really for medium format and not 35mm with an adapter.

This was East Germany's attempt at a top of the line professional SLR system like the Nikon F or the Canon F-1. It has interchangeable finders like the pro Nikon and Canon bodies, and is usually seen with a metered prism. Ivor Matanle has some info about it in his book about classic SLRs. He says it is rare because it never sold well; which he attributed to a high price that most were unwilling to pay for an East German camera. I've never seen one in person; they probably sold more in Europe than the USA where I am, but I have always wanted to try one.

The Pentacon Super was mostly seen matched with the posh f/1.4 55 mm Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar lens , a much sought after lens... as less than 6,000 were made.

I reckon the lion's share of the price is for the Flektogon. Take that away and you basically have a Praktica, which would not be worth much, especially with just a waist level finder. Don't know what this lens goes for -- this would be in Praktica mount (M42) -- but maybe it's worth the asking price all by itself.

Seeing the missing paint from the Pentacon Super engraving and paint wear on the corners, I'm hard pressed to call it "near mint," if that's the seller's term.

I reckon the lion's share of the price is for the Flektogon. Take that away and you basically have a Praktica, which would not be worth much, especially with just a waist level finder. Don't know what this lens goes for -- this would be in Praktica mount (M42) -- but maybe it's worth the asking price all by itself.

Seeing the missing paint from the Pentacon Super engraving and paint wear on the corners, I'm hard pressed to call it "near mint," if that's the seller's term.

Pentacon Supers usually go for $400+ just for the body. This is not 'just a Praktica.'

I should have researched further before writing. I stand corrected -- substantially different camera: metal vertical shutter, full aperture metering. A rare beast. Just wondering how reliable it is.

I might have exaggerated with “near mint” but this camera was produced in very limited quantities (just a bit more than 4000 units, if I am not mistaken), so, taking into consideration what’s available in the market the condition seems to be quite nice. Anyway, I will inspect it live on Sunday and will decide then.

So I bought it. Really nice condition- apart from this minimal paint loss I can’t see any cosmetic issues, even bottom plate is intact, no smallest scratches. All speeds work fine and curtains seem to be in good shape. My only regret is that it comes with the waist level finder, thus - no exposure metering. Lens glass is also in pristine condition. Will load some film and shoot a test roll on the weekend.

These cameras, if working correctly, always seem to command higher prices. I paid $700+ for mine with a later Pentacon Electric 50/1.8 lens. I wanted a lens more age related to the body and not (ever) being able to afford a 55/1.4 Pancolar, which was ultimately paired with the Super, I did find a 50/1.8 Jena Pancolar, with Thorium glass, which serves me just fine.
My only issue with the camera is the self timer mechanism seems locked up and does not work. I have been given the correct operating procedure for this, but just does not seem to want to release. I am wondering if you try yours, does it seem to work correctly, and the procedure you use in making it operate. I have original instructions for the camera, but still I believe something is locked up in the mechanism, and I'm reluctant to start tearing into it, as I will probably never use the self timer anyway.
I also have the motor drive unit for it, but it is non battery powered, and to make work correctly has to be paired with cables and battery which are next to impossible to find. It looks nice on the camera, but realistically is pretty useless.
Good luck with your camera, as this is a beast to carry around, but I also own Contarex's so I'm used to their massive size and weight.
Regards, Pentacon Super.jpg

Attachments

• Pentacon Super.jpg
    Pentacon Super.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 0
My only issue with the camera is the self timer mechanism seems locked up and does not work. I have been given the correct operating procedure for this, but just does not seem to want to release. I am wondering if you try yours, does it seem to work correctly, and the procedure you use in making it operate. I have original instructions for the camera, but still I believe something is locked up in the mechanism, and I'm reluctant to start tearing into it, as I will probably never use the self timer anyway.
/

yes, I tested the self timer and it works. It seems there are ways to set long exposures with the self timer from 1 to 10 sec. I will need to test it more, but now the film is loaded, so it’ll have to wait.

I totally would love to play with a Super but they are pricey! It seems that although the Super was at best an early, mechanical implementation of the idea of open aperture metering that was replaced by the Praktica LLC system in 1969/70, the idea demonstrated a great deal of innovation in the East German camera industry.

Back