Pentax K-3 III Monochrome Rumor / Leak

jsrockit

Staff member
Local time
1:05 AM
I'm looking for excuse to let go most of darkroom equipment and materials I got. Leica Monochromes are not in my price range to commit it.
If Pentax would really do it ...

I got K-3 this winter and already have three AF lenses. My go to bad (kind of regular for a while now) weather kit.
500+ USD budged range in total. K-3 was 200 USD, three lenses were under 300 USD for all and new TTL flash in 100 USD range.
Despite this low cost, IQ is just fine. Including impressive high ISO performance.

Don't know about DSLRs been de, but in bad (interesting) weather photography here isn't much to choose from under reasonable price and decent IQ with baionet. It is rather slightly better than mobile phone IQ Olympus or one kilogram Leica SL series cameras (lens weight not included).
Yet, Pentax has totally WR, under 1K USD, body and less expensive than other brand WR zooms.

I have an M10M but will get this for, as @Ko.Fe. points out, interesting weather. Weather resistant also means dust and salt resistant.

Pentax have a lot of nice, interesting lenses too. The only ‘problem’ is that to get a fast normal I probably need to buy a Sigma Art 35/1.4 that is about the size of a cannon ball.

$2200... a $500 premium, but the cheapest brand new monochrome camera out there by far as well. I think Pentax made a smart move. I hope they make a Ricoh GR version too.

Optical viewfinders just look better to me and I can see through the lens without the need for a Viso for wide and longer lenses like I do with the M10M and the AF has to be better than the Q2M which is barely competent. A monochrom SLR with a 16-40-ish equivalent zoom for street. Don‘t F it up Pentax!

Optical viewfinders just look better to me and I can see through the lens without the need for a Viso for wide and longer lenses like I do with the M10M and the AF has to be better than the Q2M which is barely competent. A monochrom SLR with a 16-40-ish equivalent zoom for street. Don‘t F it up Pentax!
They have this... pentax_23000_hd_pentax_da_20_40mm.html

20-40mm (30-60mm)

I seem to remember that Pentax uses DNG format in camera.

Another plus...
They have offered a choice between proprietary PEF raw files and DNG since at least the K10 from 15 years ago. Since Pentax raw conversion software is about as mediocre as most camera manufacturer's software this is one reason why I have stuck with Pentax for digital.

I have an M10M but will get this for, as @Ko.Fe. points out, interesting weather. Weather resistant also means dust and salt resistant.

Pentax have a lot of nice, interesting lenses too. The only ‘problem’ is that to get a fast normal I probably need to buy a Sigma Art 35/1.4 that is about the size of a cannon ball.
Pentax HD Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited is 65 x 69 mm.

Old Pentax SMS 35 1.4 is slightly smaller. Pentax provides AF points assistance for manual focus lenses.

I have one of those Sigma Art 35 f1.4 lenses in SA mount and it's a heavy unit. I wonder occasionally what Sigma in Japan charges to change the mount ... apparently they offer that service.

Pentax HD Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited is 65 x 69 mm.

Old Pentax SMS 35 1.4 is slightly smaller. Pentax provides AF points assistance for manual focus lenses.
I have used one of these, but I don’t think of f1.8 as fast. I might have to work out how good the IBIS is, but so much of what I photograph moves. IBIS will get around a lot of problems for portraits and still scenes. I suspect if I use it a lot my photography might change quite a bit. It’s been over 20 years since I’ve used anything other than a Leica M as my main camera.

There were fewer than 10 Pentax 35/1.4s made M 35/1.4 | The K-Mount Page. The 31/1.8 and IBIS might have to do.

I have one of those Sigma Art 35 f1.4 lenses in SA mount and it's a heavy unit. I wonder occasionally what Sigma in Japan charges to change the mount ... apparently they offer that service.
I’d have to check the balance on the camera - balance (or lack thereof) is as important, and sometimes more important than pure weight, but I think @Ko.Fe. is right - the 31/1.8 might be the best fast normal for this camera. And it’s not like the f1 Noctilux on a digital Leica M balances that well.

Back