Peter's Canon Lens Book Available in US

Frank Barrett

Local time
4:34 PM
Friends:

My copy of Peter Kitchingman's great book, Canon Lenses, arrived this past week, and I'm enjoying it. Thanks to Peter, who shipped it directly--and autographed it. Not only that, but he covered the entire package with a wild assortment of Australian stamps (film at 11).

Now I am told that Camera Books in Oregon has the book available:

http://camerabooks.com/products/can...c-rangefinder-spc-lenses-spc-kitchingman.aspx

Frank

Last edited:
Friends:

My copy of Peter Kitchingman's great book, Canon Lenses, arrived this past week, and I'm enjoying it. Thanks to Peter, who shipped it directly--and autographed it. Not only that, but he covered the entire package with a wild assortment of Australian stamps (film at 11).

Now I am told that Camera Books in Oregon has the book available:

http://camerabooks.com/products/can...c-rangefinder-spc-lenses-spc-kitchingman.aspx

Frank

Thanks, that's very interesting. I tried to find it in the UK but the link from PCCGB doesn't work. Maybe you could PM me Peter's email address?

Lawrence

Thank you for the heads up!

Thank you for the heads up!

This is great news, for whatever reason I've not been able to find this book, and perfect timing for a Christmas gift to myself.

The amount of information in Peter's book is staggering. Anyone seriously interested in Canon lenses should have this book.

I own the Canon 100mm 1:3.5 Type 7 listed in the book as the highest serial nunber for this lens. However, Peter told me he later found out about an even higher number after the book was published. Anyway, a couple of corrections need to be made for this listing. The Infra-red (R) mark on my lens is red and not orange. Also, the Focus Range on my lens is 3.5-50 not 3.5-60. Minor technicalities.

Once again--a great book.

The amount of information in Peter's book is staggering. Anyone seriously interested in Canon lenses should have this book.

I own the Canon 100mm 1:3.5 Type 7 listed in the book as the highest serial nunber for this lens. However, Peter told me he later found out about an even higher number after the book was published. Anyway, a couple of corrections need to be made for this listing. The Infra-red (R) mark on my lens is red and not orange. Also, the Focus Range on my lens is 3.5-50 not 3.5-60. Minor technicalities.

Once again--a great book.

Hi

Thanks for the compliment on my book it makes ALL the 9yrs of research worth the effort.

I read your description of your T7 100mm f/3.5 lens with interest and noted your pointers about your lens which is a late example. My example is an early version hence the info in my book, but it seems that Canon on the later versions altered some of the info and changed colours of the "R" letter from orange to red and changed the focal range info from 60 to 50.

This I did not know!

Now this is interesting because if you check the focus range info on your lens with your thumb nail and find it has been engraved onto the lens similar to the DOF scale then.... wham!!!.
The scale on my lens has been screened onto the lens and is smooth when running one’s finger nail over it.

Whether this has happened onto other late Canon RF M39 lenses I am not sure so if anyone has my book and has a late issue RF lens check it out?

I have seen this done onto some of the late swivel shoe Canon Meters for the Model P where the dial has been screened on some whereas others have it engraved. Check it out with your thumb nail.

Will have to work out from serial numbers of lenses when this occurred.

Cheers Peter

Peter--Just checked my lens. Gave it the fingernail test plus a magnifier inspection. Both focusing scales are deeply engraved including the number 50. Maybe you noticed that in my earlier post I was careful to say "on my lens". I am well aware that when I have two "identical" items they are seldom exactly the same. For example, I have thirteen Kodak Signet 35's and none of them are alike. I also know there are other possible variations out there that I do not have. Just for the record, I have a swivel foot meter with silk screened dial.
Cheers.

Back