Photograph America

Hi Raid

I love the idea of this thread, that someone would write, print and send newsletters. During the late 1980s I was just getting into photography properly and information was precious- magazines, newsletters, clubs. All this is now instantly available. Thinking back, we were all quite solitary compared to today. Very nostalgic. Love your photos too.

Thanks!
In the late 1980's I was single and I was a stranger in Pensacola, so I needed photography to give me a sense of happiness even if it was alone then. The Gitzo tripod was so heavy that it nearly broke my Samsonite suitcase, and I recall an airport staff member telling me that maybe next time I should leave this heavy tripod home.

There were no real bookstores then in Pensacola, so I would drive to Atlanta to buy photography books. I then had a good dinner, and then I would drive back at night to Pensacola. I saved the cost of staying at a motel. The next morning felt like Christmas! I usually bought 5-7 books on photography each trip to Atlanta.

Huss: In that Bryce Canyon photo, these were 2 figures and one of them moved, so you see 3 figures. It was a slow exposure.

I think I got one of those newsletter invites way back when. Been so long now, but I probably dismissed it as not being economically relevant to my current situation at that time. I also had not accrued much vacation time by then either. But I always wished to go photo traveling around for weeks at a time, so planned on doing that after retirement. Another plan that went in the dumpster of life.

Anyway, Raid, do you remember what camera store you got your developing done at? There's only one still in operation, but they don't develop film.

PF

I took the infrared film to a local camera store in Blacksburg then. This was in the 1980's. I do not remember their name. They were located at a corner of two small streets downtown. It was close to a store called MishMish (in Arabic it means Apricot).

I found at photo.net some of my older image folders.

Antelope Canyon:

5007880-orig.jpg

5007895-orig.jpg

Zion NP:

2798431-orig.jpg

5007848-orig.jpg

On the way from Zion to Bryce:

3751105-orig.jpg

Bryce Canyon

5007897-orig.jpg

Canyonland

5007902-orig.jpg

I started in my apartment practicing with color infrared film and finding the right exposure in total darkness. The only source of light were the burners on the old stove.

5007864-orig.jpg

Thanks for sharing these great images and the newsletter Raid. I'd never seen it. Think I'll pick up a couple copies to look over.

Thanks! I find myself being at home and with more time for photography than before, but no real time ways to go out and take photos these days. Such newsletters could be lots of fun to go through if you either have been to such a location [as covered in a given issue] or you may one day go there.

Great set of images Raid, great stories too. I love the American Southwest. My nephew got married in Nevada back in May, 2016, and after the wedding, we spent several days exploring Zion and the Grand Canyon before heading back to Michigan. Such incredible scenery.

Jim B.

Thank you Jim. The scenery brings out the best in a photographer.
My suggested round trip: from Las Vegas (arrive by plane) rent a car and drive to the South Rim and then North Rim of the Grand Canyon followed by Marble Canyon and Bryce Canyon and then Zion and then back to Las Vegas.

Back