Australia/New Zealand Photographer Spends 10 Years Capturing the Visual Symphony of Waves

Thanks for the link Keith - some excellent photos! I have not posted many of my wave pictures here, as the majority were taken with a DSLR. They aren't posted anywhere else either :(

By coincidence a RFF member (Shirley) has sent me a link to another photographer, Rachael Talibart, whose wave pictures I found poetic, and quite stunning:
https://rfotofolio.org/2018/07/24/rachael-talibart-gallery/

Cheers,

Thanks for the link Keith - some excellent photos! I have not posted many of my wave pictures here, as the majority were taken with a DSLR. They aren't posted anywhere else either :(

By coincidence a RFF member (Shirley) has sent me a link to another photographer whose wave pictures I found poetic, and quite stunning:

Cheers,

The ones you have posted now and then have always caught my eye. :)

By coincidence a RFF member (Shirley) has sent me a link to another photographer, Rachael Talibart, whose wave pictures I found poetic, and quite stunning:

Cheers,

—and of course No One here posts their DSLR photos, Lynn. (Insert eye rolls here.) I’m sure I am not the only one who’d like to see what you do with waves with (cough) modern gear.

Incredible photos. The camera stops their movement, and sees them not as they are seen by us. They look solid, like mountains of the sea. I've spent most of my life on coastal areas, and waves are ever changing second by second. Woe to the person who turns their back on them or loses track of what is happening in the moment. The ocean can be awe inspiring, and deadly. Maybe that's why I'm in the desert now :]

It reminds me of a conversation I overheard on the bus. An old Merchant Marine guy was telling his friend, "The ocean is very beautiful......and very dangerous......just like a girlfriend." If I had to choose which one is more dangerous, I'd have to go w/ the girlfriend.

I like the way some of the waves look almost metallic through the processing technique he used. Good stuff. Thanks for the link, Keith.

PF

Incredible photos. The camera stops their movement, and sees them not as they are seen by us. They look solid, like mountains of the sea.

That was what got me as well .... instead of giving them a sense of movement as you may do a waterfall or fast flowing river he chose to freeze them and create an almost sculptural effect! It really empathises their power and their latent energy.

Just checked and I have 20K wave photos in my LR gallery :eek:

I find it a nightmare job to organise even with LR tools.. since you kindly mentioned my photos Keith here's a few from a random 3-exposure, 2-second sequence for your (hopefully) enjoyment. This wave was at least 12' and fairly close! Taken at 73mm on a 5D:

going...
U27021I1533131008.SEQ.0.jpg

going...
U27021I1533131009.SEQ.1.jpg

gone!
U27021I1533131009.SEQ.2.jpg

Lynn, I thought the thread was about your pictures when I saw the title. You are definitely the wave photography professor emeritus around these parts!

Keith- thanks for the link...some incredible images!

Back