Photographic Water Immersion Heater

LeicaVirgin1

Established
Local time
4:52 PM
Dear Tom,

I'm looking for a good immersion water heater so that I can bring my chemicals up to the proper temperature... Any suggestions?

Best,

LV1

I'm sorry to break the news to you, but Tom passed away recently. There is a rather long RIP thread with more info.

Echoing the thoughts, RIP Tom.

For myself, I've settled on the sous vide solution. I'm using the Annova Sous Vide. It maintains a water bath with very high precision. Big bonus is that I can use it to do steaks also! It was about $130 over the holidays. In both cooking and tempering for chemicals, the Annova will only ever contact water. The published specs are:

Temp Range: 77°F to 210°F ± 0.01°F / 25°C to 99°C ± 0.01°C

Doran used to make the best unit; fully sealed so could be immersed and a very fine temperature control. I used them for many years for the color processing of wire services film under deadline; very effective. Not sure if they are still made however.

Is there any inconvenient in using an aquarium water-heater ?
The one I have can keep the water at 20ºC, which would be fine for B&W processing in Winter.
Has anyone tried this ??
Regards
Joao

is this for a bath to keep all other chemicals the same temperature? Wouldnt the sous-vide keep things too hot?

Sorry, I was thinking only of the case of doing color processing. Elevated temperature, with precision control. With B&W, I've never had an issue with staying at standard temperatures using just my faucets. B&W requires far less precision, in my book.

Back