Photographing in public & feeling like an idiot

"Grin like a fool..." Indeed! I'm doing my part to support the weirdo mystique of the photographer. Yesterday I was exercising my recently-repaired Hexar RF using a 75mm Heliar to snap a small tree with a white warehouse background... while standing in the middle of the street. Some hazard, yes, but it's a quiet street. Of course at the moment I'm using this street, a lady did drive up in an SUV and slowed as I backed away. She glanced at what I was shooting and waved.

Danger! Danger! Will Rogers!!

Danger! Danger! Will Rogers!!

while standing in the middle of the street. Some hazard, yes, but it's a quiet street.

There have been some pedestrian accidents where the pedestrian did not hear the new hybrid cars (running electric) approaching them.

A study shows that while regular combustion engine cars are heard at approx 40 feet, many of the hybrids, while running electric, are not heard until somewhat under 20 feet.

As a result there is legislation pending at the Federal level and in some states to require some sort of combustion engine sound to emanate from these "silent running hybrids or electrics".

NO, I am not making this up.

This raises the question of "choosable" sounds and downloadable "run tones" for your hybrid/electric.

And NO, I am not making up that last part. Wonder how this device will affect new car prices... duh?

This also raises an interesting political question.

If I were a politician, would I want my constituents to know that I worked hard and voted for (or against) health care reform, or rather that I spent my time working hard and voting for (or against) "run tones" for silent cars. Keep in mind that the study(s) I mentioned before were very likely paid for with our tax money.

Last edited:
I am a nobody when I'm out chasing the unseen, the second it's caught my attention, there's nothing else.
SLR, RF, MF, LF doesn't change it, you're a madman watching whatever people don't see, yet.

Trams have bells here in South London...

Trams have bells here in South London...

There have been some pedestrian accidents where the pedestrian did not hear the new hybrid cars (running electric) approaching them.

A study shows that while regular combustion engine cars are heard at approx 40 feet, many of the hybrids, while running electric, are not heard until somewhat under 20 feet.

As a result there is legislation pending at the Federal level and in some states to require some sort of combustion engine sound to emanate from these "silent running hybrids or electrics".

NO, I am not making this up.

This raises the question of "choosable" sounds and downloadable "run tones" for your hybrid/electric.

And NO, I am not making up that last part. Wonder how this device will affect new car prices... duh?

This also raises an interesting political question.

If I were a politician, would I want my constituents to know that I worked hard and voted for (or against) health care reform, or rather that I spent my time working hard and voting for (or against) "run tones" for silent cars. Keep in mind that the study(s) I mentioned before were very likely paid for with our tax money.

Here in Croydon (South London) the trams have loud bells on the front of them as they are fairly quiet and run through some pedestrian areas.

In a similar vein, the Duke of Edinburgh (Prince Philip) used to drive an electric version of the Bedford CF van around London - he had that fitted with an electric tram bell as it was so quiet.

Back to the topic though - try wearing a fluorescent jacket or safety over vest - these make you almost invisible; people will think you are undertaking some type of technical survey and will ignore you. I wore a really bright fluorescent orange vest when I was taking photographs for English Heritage's 'Images of England' project and no one bothered me even though I was taking pictures of some very odd architectural features and in the City of London too where the Police have always been somewhat sniffy about most things.

Regards

Andrew More

Back