Photographing the Homeless.

Photographing the Homeless.

• Total voters

samoksner

Who stole my light?
Local time
1:30 AM
There recently was a thread about what subject people didn't shoot, a few people said that they would not photograph the homeless. Some said they would photograph them only if they could do it without the subject knowing.

What do you think?

For me, it's about approach and having respect for the subject, here is what i wrote in the other thread:

"I don't get why people would not photograph homeless people. I've grown up in Paris, San Francisco and now Los Angeles, so I've seen my fair share of homeless people and I photograph them, however, I do not stand behind a tree and shoot from a distance, I let them know, I interact with them, I let them know that I am not exploiting them or making fun of their situation but rather that I have a respect for the situation that they are in and I do not feel ashamed to look at them.

Is it not more shameful to ignore someone on the street by not looking their way to ignore that feeling of discomfort rather then to connect with the person in distress, even if for just a moment? These are people that feel socially outcast in many ways and having someone treat them like they aren't aliens is sometimes the best thing one could do for them that day. I've met many homeless people, many with amazing stories, many I've been able to help in a small way just by going back and giving them a couple dollars or a sandwich and a print of themselves where they were smiling, or happy or had that glimmer in hope in their eye. "

-Sam

Last edited:
I have always thought it would be a lot more interesting to be photographing the photographers who are photographing the homeless.

Stephen

there you go ... not that interesting actually

ps m2, rigid summicron, hp5, id11

pps i feel uncomfortable taking photos of poor people with expensive cameras

Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't know, Stewart.
I think I'd let her take my picture.

But, in answer to the poll: "No, I just don't."

Can't think of any homeless person that I'd want to hang on my wall.

Kinda - Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Hmmm, I don't know, Stewart.
I think I'd let her take my picture.

But, in answer to the poll: "No, I just don't."

Can't think of any homeless person that I'd want to hang on my wall.

Kinda - Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

I was photographing her, not him

ps I have no idea who she is

Last edited:
Are not homeless people just "people" like everyone else? Some people are male, some are female. Some people have money, some don't. Some are straight, some are gay. Some are white, some are black. Some have homes, some do not. And all the variations in between.

But once you set aside all your preconceived notions, people are just people.

If something interesting is happening with that homeless person , then yes. Otherwise I have no particular interest in them , or anyone else for that matter.

I like your view Bob! And this is not the first time I've read your comments on photoing people (of course I first wrote "shooting" without thinking).

I've never wanted to photograph a homeless person, but shouldn't we play by the same rules as we do when we photograph anyone else, whatever those rules are?

People that are having troubles should be left alone. It's the decent thing to do. Photographing the homeless isn't cool, it isn't street journalism, it's really uncaring and stupid. I'd put it more succinctly in person. Hopefully any fool that points a camera in the face of someone will get exactly what they deserve.

The guy above is a street musician.

Thanks Mark!

Thanks Mark!

You might want to look at David Sleppy's book, "No One Sees Me", for another perspective.

Mark

I just ordered a copy of the book for myself. Can't wait to read it. I do feel guilty ignoring them and hope this might help me change for the better.

Are not homeless people just "people" like everyone else? Some people are male, some are female. Some people have money, some don't. Some are straight, some are gay. Some are white, some are black. Some have homes, some do not. And all the variations in between.

Exactly, why treat them like they are different?

People that are having troubles should be left alone. It's the decent thing to do. Photographing the homeless isn't cool, it isn't street journalism, it's really uncaring and stupid. I'd put it more succinctly in person. Hopefully any fool that points a camera in the face of someone will get exactly what they deserve.

The guy above is a street musician.

I disagree in that photographically speaking, i may be as interested in them, their face, their posture as anyone else's expression on the street.

Leave them alone... I don't believe I am bothering anyone when i photograph them and talk to them about what my intentions are. Am I bothering the couple walking down the street that I photographed and smiled at when they noticed me? I believe it's about intentions and I've never forced my intentions on anyone in the street. Is all street photography foolish in that sense?

I say no. The world doesn't need more photos of misery and suffering. There are enough of those photos.

I'd rather be wrong, but misery & suffering form a part of life as it is, was before and disgracefully always will be. I'd take a photo of any tramp,beggar, homeless, junky or whatever with his mp3 earlugs without any remorse. Only time will tell if it did matter to anybody

Perhaps it's because I've no kids to shoot. And my cat's went up recently for her next incarnation as well.

I say no. The world doesn't need more photos of misery and suffering. There are enough of those photos.

i have numerous photographs of "homeless" people that aren't about misery and suffering. i've gotten drunk under bridges with homeless people and photographed them... i've gone to a santa claus parade with homeless people and photographed them and i've even gone for a swim with a couple of homeless fellas and photographed them. all pretty good times really. no misery.

Back