Photography blogs

lxmike

M2 fan.
Local time
10:01 AM
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move please mods.
What platform would people recommend for writing a photography blog and sharing an online gallery. Thank in advance for any replies, advice and or help.

Have anyone used Drupal? A client I work for is moving to Drupal from Wordpress so curious is there is any difference/advantage. Considering creating a blog for my photos, just for fun not business though.

i use blogger.com

lately though it wont let me access my account and tells me i have no entries on my account...tho when i head directly to my account (what the public would see) it works fine.
they do not reply to my pleas for help.

i use blogger.com

lately though it wont let me access my account and tells me i have no entries on my account...tho when i head directly to my account (what the public would see) it works fine.
they do not reply to my pleas for help.

hope you get sorted same thing happened to my flickr account

thanks for the replies, there are an awful lot out there, squarespace, wix, wordpresss etc......help

Depends on what you're looking to use it for. A regularly updated feed? A portfolio page? Textual musings on photography?

I personally have been using Tumblr for the past decade, though decreasingly so. The whole Verizon purchase and adult content crackdown debacle decimated the social-media user base, but it's still a very good blogging platform, if you don't care about shares/likes/followers. Clean and simple themes to choose from, and can be linked to a domain.

Not a fan of Wordpress and Blogger. They look a bit busy, and WP can be a nightmare to customize. But they do have more powerful sorting and tagging if that's what you're looking for.

Wix looks promising, and I know a lot of people that use it. I just hate the 'This site was designed with the Wix Website Builder' banner on top of the free pages.

I also use Format (formerly 4ormat) for site hosting. The free option limits you to a certain number of images, but it's fine for a simple portfolio. Very easy but customizable drag-and-drop building tool. There is a built-in blogging system that you can integrate into your site. I'd highly recommend it for a sort of all-encompassing site, if you don't want to be on social media (flickr/tumblr/instagram).

I use squarespace for my site and am very happy with it.

However, if I were to start a site this very minute, I wouldn't use squarespace. The plan I'm currently paying for is 96 bucks for me, 144 if you started today. However, a lot of the features that I have at 96 are no longer available at 144 dollars, such as code injection. Squarespace's huge push to sponsor everyone has come at a cost on the back end for the use. To get what I have on my website, premium blocks etc, you'd have to pay 216 per year or 26 a month.

I think wordpress might have a steeper learning curve, but overall better customization and would be cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for all the advice and replies, now l am just wondering what site to use, I plan a weekly blog with mainly images in, l wonder which would be the best option

Thanks for all the advice and replies, now l am just wondering what site to use, I plan a weekly blog with mainly images in, l wonder which would be the best option

I use WordPress and I do my own hosting with digital ocean. If you are considering WordPress you should be aware that WordPress.com is not the same as WordPress.org. WordPress.com is the commercial SaaS platform that requires you to pay for customizations. WordPress.org is an open source application that you can download. Hosting and maintaining it is 100% up to you, but there are many services like bluehost or wpengine that make it pretty easy to set up. If you want to go the WordPress route I suggest using something like XAMPP on your computer to try it out. I think the ecosystem for WordPress is accessible to a variety of technical proficiency.

I used to use Wordpress for all things. Have been using Craft CMS for some recent projects, I like it better. There are no themes available as in Wordpress, but its fairly easy to get up and working. Im not a web developer, just fiddle around, and i got a few sites working..
License is free for personal use..

(see what I did there? :D)

Back