Illinois Photography things around the Loop

CliveC

Well-known
Local time
7:10 PM
I'm in Chicago for business in September and would like to visit some camera shops and things. Not looking for anything in particular, just to browse mostly.

I will be staying around the Loop and aside from Central Camera, don't know much about the scene there. I am from Canada, so I'm hoping to find a deal or two, even if it's just film.

Any suggestions?

Two other places you might want to check out:

First is Calumet Photographic which is northwest of the loop, on Goose Island (1111 N. Cherry Ave.). Like a really scaled down B&H with not as good of prices, but probably the most complete camera store in the City of Chicago.

The other place is Helix Camera. Which is west of the Loop, over on 310 South Racine Street, just north of the I-290 expressway. In it's heyday it was about half of what B&H was, now it's getting thinner and thinner. May have better prices than Calumet.

Last time I was in both, they had quite a bit of used equipment for sale.

Enjoy the Windy City while you're here and make sure you take some time to "street shoot" around the Loop.

Best,
-Tim

Sadly there's not much used gear in the loop or in the city anymore and very few deals. Tamarkin is a short cab ride (or train ride) from the loop. Might be better to let Dan Tamarkin know when plan on showing, even during the week. I'd save my money to get to Calumet, unless you've never seen a decent camera store...decent but nothing special. Helix sadly has been gone for a few months.

The Museum of Contemporary Photography at Columbia College is a nice museum and is within walking distance from Central Camera. It's been 20 years since I've been there so it might be best to contact them first. Here's the link.
http://www.mocp.org

Have fun!

Helix is dead--closed a couple of months ago. CC has lots of used stuff, and is a good place for obscure new-old stock.. Don't miss the museums. Come visit me in my shop if you want--it's sort of between CC and the Art Institute, a half block from each.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'll definitely do Central Camera and see if I can fit in a museum as well. I do plan on bringing a camera or two along with me.

Back