Picked up a Z6

Ken Ford

Refuses to suffer fools
Local time
12:00 AM
After months of reflection, I took the plunge today and picked up a Z6, 24-70S and FTZ adapter before the current promotions expired. I’ll be selling off my Df and a few lenses since that’s what it will be replacing. I’m not unsealing the boxes until the memory card and filter I just ordered from Adorama arrives this week.

I’m planning on picking up a quality M to Z adapter, the new 14-30 when it’s released and possibly the improved 70-300P that Thom likes so much - maybe even the 50S.

I’ve been looking forward to this!

Congratulations. Been using a Z6 for a couple months now, with an Amedeo adapter and a Nikon Z to Leica M adapter, and my old Nikon Rangefinder Nikkors. Really a joy to shoot.

Best,
-Tim

Thanks! I just bumped up an old thread about the potential of using Nikon RF lenses on the Z - is that the Amedeo adapter?

Definitely time for another Chicago area meet!

I picked up three inexpensive adapters to get things moving:

M>Z (Rainbow Imaging)
LTM>Z (Rainbow Imaging)
S>Z (eBay seller, item 283337490025)

If I like how my M lenses work on the Z, I’ll replace the M adapter with something higher quality if needed.

I'm a Fuji fan, but if I wanted a FF mirrorless, Nikon would be my choice. Enjoy!

Thanks! I hear you - my Fuji gear is hear to stay, especially my XP2. I’m seeing the Z as being a replacement for my Nikon DSLRs for non action use. Step two will be picking up a D500 for action.

Well... I am impressed enough with my Z6 so far that I’ve put all thoughts of a D500 on hold. I have expanded my native mount lenses with the 50 and 14-30, and am just now starting to play with adapted lenses.

You're a man of many surprises, Ken! :) I don't recall your mentioning this ever, but perhaps you did... It's time indeed for a meet. How's that 24-70 working for you? Is it a fast one or variable aperture? The Z6 has had me intrigued for a while but I still am too attached to my D700 (yes, it's still here! :) ) In any case, please, post some images with your new glass! And thanks for keeping up posted too!

Yesterday I was able to play with a family member's Z6 for a while.
  • It is very light
  • It is smaller than I thought it would be.
  • The body resembles a RF body with two significant exceptions: the battery grip and of course the center finder. While these are significant differences, Nikon could easily make an X-Pro and, or GFX style camera(s) with the Z platform.
  • The F-mount adapter is about as big as I thought it would be. But it is light.
  • The EVF and LCD displays are very nice.

Separately, Jim Kasson has published rigorous technical evaluations of the Z6/Z7 (mostly the Z7). A somewhat oversimplified summary is: the Z6's technical imaging performance is very close to the Z7's. I don't think the Z7 has a significant advantage in dynamic range or low-light signal-to-noise ratio.

After actually experiencing a Z6, I think Nikon is in a very strong position with the new Z series. Nikon fans should rejoice.

After actually experiencing a Z6, I think Nikon is in a very strong position with the new Z series. Nikon fans should rejoice.

I would if my Z7 was as compatible with F mount lenses as pretty much any old Nikon DSLR. But it isnt.
If you use, for example, an AI-S lens, while it mounts onto the FTZ adapter, there is no translation between lens and camera of what aperture is being used. Because Nikon in its wisdom decided to omit providing an aperture feeler.
Nikon currently sells, brand new, PK-11 PK-12 and PK-13 extension tubes that have aperture feelers! But skip it on their lens adapter for their new mirrorless system.

A 10 year old Nikon DSLR can read apertures from mf lenses, but the brand spankin new Z series cannot.
Unbelievable.

I wish the FTZ had an Ai tab too, but - what’s the practical difference? You’re metering in stop down mode, and the EVF shows you the exposure and focus. I’ve been testing my MF Nikkors, M lenses and even my Canon LTM 50/1.2, and the shooting experience with each is great.

Much ado about nothing IMO...

Much ado about nothing IMO...

I agree 100%.

Nikon sets the gold standard for its long-standing forward- and backward-compatibility of its system, including its introduction of various advancements (AF, AFS, the new Z mount, etc). Heaven forbid something wonderful and new doesn't include ALL possible combinations from days gone by! I'm surprised no one has yet demanded they include support for the "rabbit ear" pre-AI lenses....

Cheers, Robert

I wish the FTZ had an Ai tab too, but - what’s the practical difference?

There is no practical difference. Zero. I use Ai-s lenses on a Z7 all the time. If someone could tell me why the resulting photos are compromised because the aperture setting isn't cluttering up the EXIF data, I'd be willing to listen. If I can't tell by looking at the photo whether it was shot as f/2 or f/5.6, I should be pursuing another hobby anyway.
Best camera I have ever owned, in every way.
Is EXIF peeping the new pixel peeping? Or what.
Talk about a first world problem.

There is no practical difference. Zero. I use Ai-s lenses on a Z7 all the time. If someone could tell me why the resulting photos are compromised because the aperture setting isn't cluttering up the EXIF data, I'd be willing to listen. If I can't tell by looking at the photo whether it was shot as f/2 or f/5.6, I should be pursuing another hobby anyway.
Best camera I have ever owned, in every way.
Is EXIF peeping the new pixel peeping? Or what.
Talk about a first world problem.

Yeah, I don't hear the Leica guys bemoaning the fact. The Z series could be the ultimate platform for using other manufacturers lenses, so I can keep more of the lenses I like, and just sell off all the others and cameras. Hoping for a C/Y-to-Z so I can use my Contax Zeiss lenses on it.

PF

Because the camera does not know what aperture is being used the auto iso setting is hampered and the evf does not show the actual exposure but a corrected version as to what it thinks it should so getting a ‘correct exposure’ involves not looking at the image in the evf but staring at the histogram and pushing it to the right.
And yes I have the evf set to show actual exposure.

When I use a chipped lens like a Nikkor 45mm 2.8 AI-P or CV SL2 or Otis it works correctly because the camera knows what the actual aperture is. I like how instead of wondering why Nikon didnt just add an aperture feeler seeing they still offer that on their extension tubes, some people’s responses are fanboi like. Remember this thing is $250 ish. Canon charges $90 for their same version. But yaaaay Nikon!

Back