Picket Fence — (the modern) Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6

"Almost"?? LOL! :D

The M10-M, fitted with a green filter, is really only distinguishable from my best 35mm B&W film work by noting that I can use up to ISO 50,000 and by seeing how much more detail and tonal gradation it achieves. IMO of course. ;)

G

Well, you say "really only distinguishable from my best 35mm B&W film work". What is that saying? In any case, I would need to use the Mono to really know and unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I cannot afford it! HaHa! I do like the look of that M from what I see on your Flikr feed.

That almost looks like film. I may have to trade in my M2. I have the 35mm 2.8 Summaron.
You would live to regret it.....
50113137396_66301f4e39.jpg
. just another fence... M4/21mm.... print on Foma Variant lll

Last edited:
Lovely shots all.

Godfrey you are diluting the consideration of this lens with multiple threads. Why not just post in line in the first Fences thread you created?

Lovely shots all.

Godfrey you are diluting the consideration of this lens with multiple threads. Why not just post in line in the first Fences thread you created?

Not sure why you feel that way. Each post I've made has included the title of the photograph and the name of the lens used in the subject line. I find people posting other photos with other lenses/cameras into a thread about a specific photo and lens to be much more distracting from the perspective of showing and talking about what a specific lens+camera does with a specific scene.

On other forums, there are categories for showing Leica M photos, or categories for showing 28 Summaron photos, etc. There isn't/wasn't anything quite like that here.

G

"You're entitled to your opinion, and I'll defend to the death your right to voice it. However, I am not required to agree with it."

Not sure why you feel that way. Each post I've made has included the title of the photograph and the name of the lens used in the subject line. I find people posting other photos with other lenses/cameras into a thread about a specific photo and lens to be much more distracting from the perspective of showing and talking about what a specific lens+camera does with a specific scene.

On other forums, there are categories for showing Leica M photos, or categories for showing 28 Summaron photos, etc. There isn't/wasn't anything quite like that here.

G

"You're entitled to your opinion, and I'll defend to the death your right to voice it. However, I am not required to agree with it."
I apologize, I didn't catch the Summaron part of the post, saw 28 and turned the brain off. My shot is with an Elmarit 28.

I really like your opening photograph: it is crisp and really shows the wonders of the Summaron M. In its introduction by Leica the softness was emphasised inappropriately and might have put a lot of buyers off.

But if this is a discussion of this lens, and not a single photograph, which could go in the Gallery, then I think your couple of new threads are better consolidated. Contributors to either would then keep the one thread closer to the first page, and attract more general comments and questions about the little Summaron M. If every photograph of interest and discussion of that was only to be found in a new thread the profusion of threads would defeat and dilute discussion of what is common to all, the new lens. That is my point.

I'll admit that the Gallery is currently difficult to understand for me right now. There used to be a limit on how many photographs could be submitted in 24 hours. That led to variety and cross pollination etc.

I really like your opening photograph: it is crisp and really shows the wonders of the Summaron M. In its introduction by Leica the softness was emphasised inappropriately and might have put a lot of buyers off.

I'll admit that the Gallery is currently difficult to understand for me right now. There used to be a limit on how many photographs could be submitted in 24 hours. That led to variety and cross pollination etc.
I agree on both points, thank Richard 🙂

I thought we were being encouraged to use the gallery. Is it being over used now? Should we limit how much we post in the gallery?

All the best,
Mike

I have never used any site specific gallery. I use Flickr as a generic image server and post in forums using links to Flickr. That means I have just one online storage repository to manage and maintain, rather than a separate one for each of the several forums I participate in. I've been doing this for almost 15 years now, and it's been quite reliable and consistent.

Thank you. I don't really know (or care) much about how Leica marketed the lens. I bought one because when I tested it (using a loaner from a friend) I was delighted with it immediately, and I had been only so-so on the Summicron-M 28mm ASPH that I had purchased a year before. The 'Cron didn't sing to me, the 28 Summaron does; I'm very glad I decided to trade it away. :)

For me, every thread I post highlighting the Summaron-M 28mm is a discussion of the photograph and the lens. The two cannot be uncoupled to be just about the lens: it is only through looking at different photos and the discussion they engender that the qualities of the lens are fully revealed. Big compendium threads about a lens ... well, I'm not "promoting" the lens, or trying to market or analyze it, and I find such compendium threads become a mish-mash of responses and discussions confused through a bunch of different photographs.

Per my intent, I am making photographs with the Summaron-M 28mm and sharing photographs I make with it for others to enjoy, and discuss. I have no larger agenda.

G

Back