Pinhole Photography

Very very small ones. I can't imagine why someone would NEED a photograph of a pinhole, but what the heck.

OK, just kidding. Pinhole photography gives a weird kind of other-worldliness to a photo. Kinda like the Holganistas and the Toy Camera Brigade. Everything in the center of the photo is ultra-sharp due to the very tiny 'f-stop' but it vignettes and falls off quickly on the edges.

Kinda fun, but I got tired of it pretty quickly.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Sounds great! Have any examples you have done? You have to admit though, theres not my other super fun lens options at US$59 new in the M mount :0

Daniel.

snaggs said:
Sounds great! Have any examples you have done? You have to admit though, theres not my other super fun lens options at US$59 new in the M mount :0

Daniel.

Sadly, not for RF folks, but if you also happen to have an SLR, check this out:

http://www.loreo.com/

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

When I was in school, many many many years ago as a youngin, we did some pinhole photography. The picture worked out fine. Was a lot of fun to do and play with. If I can find the picture, i might scan it in. Very easy to make too :)

Pinhole photography is the most fun you will have with your camera! Wider angles can be achieved than is, or will ever be, achieved with lenses. Pinhole photos have total depth of field; you can photograph something a fraction of an inch away from the hole and the background two miles away will be equally in focus. This frees you from considering lens focal lengths, flat film planes, and fine focus when designing and using your cameras. The strange light effects and long exposures produce amazing results that you can learn to control. You’ll want to experiment with larger formats than 35mm. My advise is do not get stuck using commercially available products. They are made for people who do not know the range of possibilities that pinholes open up. Start making your own adaptors, holes, and cameras. Instead of buying an adaptor, buy Eric Renner’s book, Pinhole Photography. Here is another good link to Eric’s site: http://pinholeresource.com/

Well, Ive already bid on it, and I think it will be a gentle entry. How do you determine the focal length? Distance from hole to film plane?

Daniel.

Daniel, Because of the total depth of field, you can place the hole at various focal lengths with impunity. You can use macro tubes or bellows or some other such thing to move the hole out to create a telephoto effect. Moving it in, even recessing it into the camera body, creates a wider field of view. However, there are optimal (in terms of sharpness) pinhole diameters for different focal lengths. In general a body cap adapter for a rangefinder should have around a 200micron hole or 350m for an SLR. There is an excellent freeware program called “Pinhole Designer” that will calculate optimal size, field of view, and exposure conversions for you. You can download it at Lennox Laser (makers of the best pinholes in the world!!): http://www.lenoxlaser.com/pinholephotos/pinhole_calculator.html

O, for exposure, yes, you measure the distance from the film plane to the hole and divide by the diameter. So, for instance, when I put a body cap adaptor on my rangefinder, I’m shooting at about f138!

XAos said:
Digizoompinhole?? Isn't that a crime against nature?

Not at all! In fact the principles of this are described by Aristotle in his Physics and extrapolated from his observances of sunlight falling through the olive-leaf canopy around the Mediterranean shore. ;)

i made a pinhole camera from a Nestle Quick can for little more than a few bucks. fun results but it's a one shot so kind of impractical...

Acouple of years ago I made a pinhole out of an old Argus c3 brick. by using a washer the size of the outer diameter of the body opening . Then I rolled a piece of soda can flat with a pencil and drilled a hole in it with a needle . glued the alum. inside the washer .glued the washer on the out side of the Argus and started in.

Pinholes are cool, let me say this, that if Leica were to make a pinhole out of a Leica body cap, the resolution and bokeh would be far superior to any other pinhloe cap in production. I am sure that handholding a Leica pinhole down to 4 to 6 seconds would also be possible because of the smoother operation of the shutter. Has anyone seen my MTF charts for Leica pinholes, I know they are here somewhere................ :D :D

Todd the troll

Back