Pixii Monochrome / Color

Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Sigma, and others still make and sell crop mode sensors. It's silly to announce they were just okay for 15 years ago.
And they have native lenses to suit. I didn't say it was only OK 15 years ago, I said the trend is towards full frame in 2023. The $2500 plus camera systems from Nikon, Sony and Sigma are all full frame. Fuji are somewhat an outlier in that regard.

Because it's a forum where people discuss and debate cameras and lenses.
Yes, I HAVEN'T bought a Pixii and I HAVE bought an M240.
My only point about the crop sensor is that the Pixii uses a Leica lens mount system, to which the most common Leica lenses end up being zoomed in (wide becoming normal, normal becoming telephoto).
Getting back to a 35mm view means adding to the cost of purchase with a 21mm or 24mm lens.
It's a simple point, no need to get upset about it.

Discuss, sure. Debate, waste of time.

Leica made/makes lenses from 16mm to 135mm for their M-mount cameras. So if you want to only have Leica lenses and an M-mount APS-C body, just pick the suitable ones that work for your FoV requirements.

Lenses don't have a in-built FoV ... it takes a focal length and a format size to establish a field of view. You have to pick the right focal lengths, which will be different between an FF and an APS-C format sensor.

The fact that you're here arguing against the Pixii having already decided that an M240 suits you better indicates you just want to argue, to me. Waste of time.

G

Most mirrorless crop format interchangeable lens cameras have adapters to use legacy lenses. I do, including u43 cameras.
Nikon and Sony full-frame and crop sensor cameras use the same lens mount. Many people use lenses designed for full-frame cameras on their APS-C cameras.
Buying a Pixii, M8, or R-D1 is no different. Buy the lens that suits your desired field of view on the camera you are using. For Rangefinder cameras- I have 21mm to 200mm covered.

The crop factor was OK 18-20 years ago.
My mistake, you said the crop factor was Okay 18-20 years ago. I misread 15.

Last edited:
I am not sure why this camera stirs so much controversy. I guess others have different needs. I was attracted to it because it produces good images in terms of color and detail.

The fact that you're here arguing against the Pixii having already decided that an M240 suits you better indicates you just want to argue, to me. Waste of time.

G
No because I'd be a prime candidate to purchase a new rangefinder if it matched my cherished lenses. There are advantages to the Pixii over the M240.
I think people argue a lot because Pixii owners are very sensitive to any criticism about the crop factor.
I've watched all the Youtube reviews, read the comments, I've read all the forum posts on more than one forum, pretty much the one consistent criticism is of the choice of crop sensor.
That's fine, I won't be buying a Pixii, but I probably would have if I could use my favourite 35mm lens in a 35 view point way.

On a day when we had sunshine, now only a vague memory. I shoot this house a lot to see how a lens/camera combo works with color and definition. This is Pixii + Canon 28mm LTM f/2.8. I'll guess the f-stop was f/5.6.

P0000637rff.JPG

In response to a request from the FB Pixii forum I shot this mono, ISO 25600, EC -0.5, JPG, Standard profile with a Canon 28mm LTM f/2.8 at f/11 and is straight out of camera. Size reduced in GIMP.

P0000144rff.JPG

Looks like you've got dust spots on your Pixii now too, @boojum. (It was your M9 last time, right?)

Are you leaving them without lenses on for extended periods (say, longer than 5 seconds)?

Back