Planar Formula Lenses 40mm through 60mm, Rangefinder Mount Lenses- Original or Converted

Canon 50/1.4. Such a nice lens. I bought a 7 a few years ago with the 50 on it figuring I'd just sell the 50 since I didn't need it, but then I tried it. Glad I did. Like most of us, I have a quite a few 50s so I don't really use it much, but I ain't selling it either!

If you have a problem with haze then instead of cleaning it out every few years, take it apart and clean out the old grease and put something in that is modern and synthetic like Helimax. I cleaned mine out with an ultrasonic cleaner. I doubt it will ever have haze. Then again, it was perfect when I got it so maybe it never would have developed haze in the first place. Just a thought.

2020-031-05.jpg

Pentax-M 50 f/1.4 converted to Leica M mount. Years ago Ferider posted that he converted one of these and I had one but had no desire to use the Pentax it was on. Ferider was kind enough to send me a piece of the brass pipe he used to convert his and I went to town. Such a fantastic lens. One of the best 50s ever made without a doubt. Only downside is it focuses bassackwards on a Leica. Oh well, I guess no lens is perfect. I put a lens tab on it a few years ago, but I put it on the flipside so when my hand hits the lens, my thumb is what I use to focus it. Keeps it straight in my brain that way. I used to use it all the time but I'm back on a Sonnar kick these days. I'd say it is the best all around 50 I have. It really has no faults optically.

2012-050-18_rename0001ps.jpg

2022-043-36.jpg

2012-056-32_ps_cc_2224.jpg

OK, I finished a quick and dirty lens Sonnar comparison this afternoon. All on an M9, all AWB, AISO, of the goddess. Not the one you want to see, The Goddess of Death. Shot at about 6PM, natural light in a wide open, f/4.0. f/8.0, f/16 progression for each lens in alphabetical order. I threw in a Planar, the Amotal. So the progression is Amotal, Bertele, CZJ 272 f/1.5, Jupiter 8 KMZ '51 and Jupiter 8 KMZ '57.

It is not the best test in the world but outside it is cold, grey and overcast. I am heating my home, in July. Someone is looking at the wrong playbook.

Ooops, they were in reverse order. Curses, Red Baron! I have sorted them into the proper order. Apologies. I should have checked rather than assume they were right.

8642659607_6f923c760a_c.jpg

Konica 50/2.4 Hexanon, on the M8.

I read Raid's recommendation for this lens, saw one at a good price, and turned another year older.

This lens was made when Nicole was born. A new lens for me.
L1025274.jpg
Wide-Open and 1/6th second, hand-held. ISO 160.
"Its Funny how you Think I'm Listening" Shirt that I bought for her.

Wide-Open and at F4. Focus is perfect on my Leica.
L1025282.jpg

L1025283.jpg

Wide-Open, getting late.

L1025289.jpg

L1025290.jpg

Raid has certainly bought a number of lenses based on my advice.
We're Even!

Back