Played with a X-Pro 1 today - wow

Archiver

Mentor
Local time
12:32 PM
By a remarkable coincidence, my local camera pusher had taken delivery of some X-Pro 1's this week, so I had a chance to play with one for a bit.

The camera was, as many have noted, fairly light and almost 'empty' feeling. The 35/1.4 was likewise light and 'empty'. But the overall feeling was very nice, with a good feeling in the hand and grip. Despite having nearly identical dimensions to the M9, it seemed a bit smaller, although I'm used to using the M9 in a leather half case that expands its size a touch.

Focusing was pretty snappy, although still not in the same league with a DSLR. More like the X10, which is faster than the X100, even with the new 1.20 firmware.

The EV dial is LOOSE. Much looser than I was expecting. The optical viewfinder isn't going to work too well for closer focusing, as tried it a number of times and it was focusing on the background. This may improve if I were to keep at it. The aperture blades do chatter a lot, too! It's rather intrusive and was one of the things that made me return the Leica X1.

But the image quality! My goodness! When I got the test jpegs into the computer, I was very surprised at the bokeh and sharpness. Hairs were perfectly visible and clear, pores of the skin were likewise, and the colour was very nice. The bokeh reminded me of a vintage lens, and the sharpness was very modern.

And then I checked the EXIF data and found that it had been set at ISO 3200! Now I want to know what the low ISO images are like, because the 3200 images were like the Ricoh GXR ISO 800 or maybe even lower.

I was vaguely tempted to slap down the plastic, but my card has taken a beating in the last few months and I REALLY don't need another camera! But Fuji have made a great product here, and I'm impressed. If I didn't already have others like the Ricoh GXR, Leica M9 or M7, I'd definitely be buying the X-Pro 1.

The optical viewfinder isn't going to work too well for closer focusing, as tried it a number of times and it was focusing on the background. This may improve if I were to keep at it.

It's a limitation of the camera and not your fault. It cannot focus close with the OVF, just like a Leica M cannot focus close (generally speaking).

The problems encountered with close-up focusing and optical finders is well know. Leica M users add goggles to overcome the issues. Fuji provides an EVF.

This straightforward situation is beyond the experience of many X100 owners who whine about OVF problems in macro mode. :bang:

"The aperture blades do chatter a lot, too! It's rather intrusive and was one of the things that made me return the Leica X1."
I can honestly say that I was only aware of the 'chatter' once in use over the weekend and that was because I had the camera switched on but not up to my face. At the point, I had been looking at the subject and had the camera at my chest but that was the only time I heard it. Even the shutter sound is audible but quiet so it should make it a good camera for candid work. The only give away is the autofocus beep!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The problems encountered with close-up focusing and optical finders is well know. Leica M users add goggles to overcome the issues. Fuji provides an EVF.

Rangefinder cameras aren't good at close-ups. But, wouldn't you just chimp an M8 or M9 for a rare close-up and still be able to shoot manual glass well, like a real rangefinder can?

Rangefinder cameras aren't good at close-ups. But, wouldn't you just chimp an M8 or M9 for a rare close-up and still be able to shoot manual glass well, like a real rangefinder can?

Without live view, chimping closeups is not funny:

(1) Focus and hope to get lucky
(2) Click!
(3) Move the camera and chimp
(4) scroll around to find what you want to be in focus
(5) Missed it! Refocus and hope to get lucky
(6) Move the camera back to what is hopefully the same distance as before
(7) Go to 2

Too much hope involved. It's certainly possible, but for any real situation I'd recommend a non-rangefinder.

Can't you switch that off??

Yes, There is a silent mode that can be accessed through the menu that turns off all camera no mechanical sounds.

There is also a separate four volume settings for the beep. High, Medium, Low and Off.

I would think chimping from a tripod mounted digital M would be better than goggles. However a digital M with real time viewing would make the joy of using manual glass even more joyful in these circumstances. There are some things M cameras don't excel at just like any other camera platform that's ever been invented.

Without live view, chimping closeups is not funny:

(1) Focus and hope to get lucky
(2) Click!
(3) Move the camera and chimp
(4) scroll around to find what you want to be in focus
(5) Missed it! Refocus and hope to get lucky
(6) Move the camera back to what is hopefully the same distance as before
(7) Go to 2
Or just make a few frames while slightly altering the camera view. It is free on digital.

The conclusion states: "If the user has a certain level of photographic experience and doesn't mind paying a little extra, the X-Pro1 may deliver greater enjoyment and better image quality." I suppose that line will not sit well with experienced users who choose, for one reason or another, to go with the E-M5.

I let some friends with no experience play with the X-Pro1, and they came away feeling very happy about the results.

The comparison tells us a lot about the differences between the in-cam jpeg engines, but is it really fair to compare lenses that are so different?

Anyway, they BOTH look like pretty awesome cameras to me.

The bottom line is that both appear to be useful cameras with different purposes... each will be very successful.

"If the user has a certain level of photographic experience and doesn't mind paying a little extra, the X-Pro1 may deliver greater enjoyment and better image quality."

I suppose that line will not sit well with experienced users who choose, for one reason or another, to go with the E-M5.

I don't mind at all. The samples from the X-Pro1 certainly seem to show better IQ, especially at high ISO settings. Enjoyment is subjective, and to each her own.

The E-M5 IQ is sufficient for my needs, and it has other qualities that will make it my eventual choice. This should not be considered a criticism of the X-Pro on its own terms.

I don't mind at all. The samples from the X-Pro1 certainly seem to show better IQ, especially at high ISO settings. Enjoyment is subjective, and to each her own.

The E-M5 IQ is sufficient for my needs, and it has other qualities that will make it my eventual choice. This should not be considered a criticism of the X-Pro on its own terms.

Amen! The E-M5 looks like it will meet my needs, the X-Pro 1 less so, even if it has better IQ. I got some great images with my Nikon D70, D100 and D200, no reason I shouldn't be able to do that with E-M5.

The problem I had with the viewfinder is that it was obviously unclear what I was focusing on. I'm not used to the way the framelines shift after it focuses. And I wasn't even that close to the subject, only about 3ft as per normal rangefinder distances.

After I realized that it wasn't happening with the VF, I switched to liveview and things were a lot better, naturally. I'm still drooling over how good the image quality was. ISO 3200 that didn't look anything like it, more like ISO400 or so. And so clear and sharp.

I picked the XPro1 because the EVF/OVF combo is particularly relevant to my shooting, but Ideally I'd like to own both XPro1 and OMD at some point.

Lets just say I really like my options these days :)

Lets just say I really like my options these days :)

Yes, it's a great time to be a photographer. If you love film, there are awesome film cameras to be had cheap (except less types of film to use). If you like digital, you have great cameras coming out ever few months.

Back