Please help. Contax G2 Shutter does not fire.

I wish I could help. That does not sound good. I have a G2 too. If you find out please let us know what the problem is or was.

Never happened to me, so these are just wild guesses: try to remove and reinsert the battery, or replace it altogether if it was low. Set it on Manual, and try to cycle through various shutter speeds.

Call TOCAD: 973-627-9600

No, none helped. I think the film does not advance so that might be the problem. The sound of the motor can be the motor for the film advance. Any idea how to fix? I am in Europe. I bought it through ebay from a person in japan. I can still ask for money back.

It worked in the first 1-2 days than I was trying the +-5 bracketing then this sound of motor started and did not stop. The camera did not turn off. I had to take out the battery. Then this happened.

I would send it back after reasonable attempts to get it to work.

I have several too, great cameras and lenses, but one of mine had to take a trip back to Yashica -- there were a few problems early on, mine would not switch off auto focus for some setting, and I was OK, but it prevented me from changing something like the ISO? -- not the most simple cameras, until you get to know them. One setting seemed to affect a completely unrelated function?

Perfectly reliable once fixed, only took a week RT back in the day. My local dealer said there were some glitches well known, but quickly addressed by the folks that made it.

If you could find a Yashica former repair center in country, you might find someone who knows, but the other route of sending it back might be appealing at a quickly approaching point.

I really liked them, terrific glass, and have held on to mine, but one of the things I should do is move them to a home where they will get used-- let's see, what number on my to do list?

I already gave two to a good photo friend in Washington--

Hope it is just a setting, assume you have the manual or have downloaded it?

Regards, John

Are you sure that you've got a definable, clear vertical or horizontal edge in your field of view on which the lens can focus? If you don't there's nothing for it to focus on, even though the lens will sound as if it is. I'm not too sophisticated with terminology, so I apologize for that. For me at least, making sure that I had a defined edge made the difference. YMMV

HTH

This literally just happened to me today and I was loading up RFF to see if there were any old threads on it. I've had my G2 for a few years and it always operated fine, but it hasn't seen any action in about a year. I just loaded up some slide film and after two pictures the shutter would fire and it would kind of crap out. The AF works, as does the meter -- and both report the correct values in the viewfinder (distance & shutter speed). I just doesn't advance though. The camera had been left in the on position during it's year of inactivity (oops) and given that the motor just seems to give up I figured it was the batteries. Well, $15 of two CR2s later and I still have the same issue. I tried changing lenses (shutter curtain is closed), changing settings, on/off cycling, removing batteries, shooting manual, etc... It tries to fire every time but it never advances past the 2nd frame, at least according the film counter.

Any more advice?

Hi Harry, sorry to hear that you have the same situation. do you also get this motor sound when you press shutter? I also tried everything and it does not help.

Frank, it is not about focusing. As I said it focuses correctly and shows correct values.

p.s. In the past I gave a try to G1 with 45&90mm but it was a total disappointment due to faulty focusing mechanism. After couple of rolls with out of focus shots, I returned 2 bodies to KEH and in the end sold out everything. Recently decided to give another try to this system with G2 and I was so happy until this moment. Before even loading a film, this got broken. I think this system is cursed on me!!!

The seller of this camera on ebay did not want to accept my return even though he was saying "14 day accepting returns". He escalated the issue to Paypal.

Meanwhile I am really curious what the problem might be with the camera. Is there any other idea or anyone else having that problem??

Put in a dispute with eBay. Just do it. The camera does not work. eBay will 99% take your side. The seller cannot refuse to accept the return. No returns no longer exists on eBay. As sold items are subject to returns. Just make sure you ship the camera and lenses back with signature requited, tracking and insurance. This protects you! Good Luck.

BTW I think you can start a dispute with eBay up to 45-days after the delivery of your purchased item.

Like I said Just do it!

I already did that but ebay directed me to paypal. so the dispute is on paypal but instead of accepting to refund he chose to escalate the case to paypal, which I believe shall give decision on my favor right?

Maiku, the seller is in Japan:

Shigaki Suzuki
Tamagawa, 4-3-10-302
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
158-0094
Japan

Was the sale through eBayl? If so then keep it with eBay. Paypal is your last resort.

Just present your case. You bought a camera advertised as working. It does not work. It is broken. Simple. Good luck.

If things do not go in your favor and want to repair it send me PM.I will help arrange for a repair here in Japan. Seems nuts, but a repair in Japan is your best option. There are a lot of G2s around and people who can fix it.

BTW I do not know the seller.

Maiku

. Seems nuts, but a repair in Japan is your best option.

That will depend on where he lives, or whether he has friends or relations elsewhere - many people in Turkey do work or study in the EU, some even in the US, while Japan will be about as abroad as can be. The former Kyocera contractors in the US, UK and Germany do still service G series cameras, so at least there there are domestic alternatives with much lower shipping cost and customs hassle.

Sevo,

The reason I mentioned Japan is that I think that in March 2013 Kyocera/Contax stop servicing the G-series cameras. I maybe wrong. Please correct me if that is the case.

Proceed with the following steps:

Step.1 Remove the batteries and replace with the fresh set.

Step.2 If step 1 failed, put your old baby in a closet and get a new one from eBay.
They go cheaper than any repairman will charge you!

Hope this Helps,

A

This might sound like a silly troubleshooting step, but if you can set the rewind custom function to leave the leader out, try rewinding the roll, remove the roll from the camera, then power down, take out the batteries, re-insert, dry fire it for several frames. Clean the window on the IR sensor that controls the film advance, then re-insert the roll and see if the problem persists. It COULD be related to the film advance sensor - if it is dirty, it could be causing the problem. It could also be related to having had the roll of film in the camera that long - tension on the take-up spool from the film could have confused the camera. Or it could have damaged the clutch on the take-up spool, preventing it from advancing properly.

The reason I mentioned Japan is that I think that in March 2013 Kyocera/Contax stop servicing the G-series cameras. I maybe wrong. Please correct me if that is the case.

March 2013 marks the point where they ceased to be legally obliged to provide services for the last marketed Contax products. But outside Japan they were working with independent repair centres. The German service partner, Tritec, still offers to service Contax bodies - however they are unable to do lens repairs that involve spare parts.

This might sound like a silly troubleshooting step, but if you can set the rewind custom function to leave the leader out, try rewinding the roll, remove the roll from the camera, then power down, take out the batteries, re-insert, dry fire it for several frames. Clean the window on the IR sensor that controls the film advance, then re-insert the roll and see if the problem persists. It COULD be related to the film advance sensor - if it is dirty, it could be causing the problem. It could also be related to having had the roll of film in the camera that long - tension on the take-up spool from the film could have confused the camera. Or it could have damaged the clutch on the take-up spool, preventing it from advancing properly.

Hi there,

But frankly this problem first happened when it was not loaded. I imagine "damaged the clutch on the take-up spool, preventing it from advancing properly." this can be a reason. Is it easy to fix? A repairman is needed for this I believe?

p.s. I will try the procedure you mentioned above. How can I change the setting to leave the leader out?

March 2013 marks the point where they ceased to be legally obliged to provide services for the last marketed Contax products. But outside Japan they were working with independent repair centres. The German service partner, Tritec, still offers to service Contax bodies - however they are unable to do lens repairs that involve spare parts.

Hi sevo,

Where is the near contax repairman then? I am quite sure that paypal will decide on my favor but it is good to know.

Back