Please help me identify this vintage Canon lens hood

Darinwc

Established
Local time
1:47 PM
Hello! I've recently purchased a few Canon hoods for the serenar lenses. But this one has me perplexed.

In this photo you can see it in the center.
It is a push on chrome hood. It is slightly too small to fit I any of my serenars that use the 40mm thread.
The cap is also slight too small.

Along with the hood came an adapter ring.
It is actually two rings that allow a filter to be used in between.
The hood fits the adapter ring on top. But the ring is threaded on the bottom and the threads are slightly too large to fit the 40mm threads. And they are too small to fit a 40.5 mm thread.

So what lens was this made for?

Attachments

• P_20190713_081632.jpg
    P_20190713_081632.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
I can't tell you what lens the hood is made for, but many lens attachment items of that era were made in "series" sizes. Series V, series VI, etc. I imagine that is what you have.

Jim B.

As I measure the Series 5 adapter thread is about 33mm and the Series 6 thread is about 44mm. There is an uncommon Series 5.5 and I can't find the thread size. Maybe that's what you have.

The hood you have next to the 50/1.9 looks like the one for the 50/2; the 50/1.9 had a rectangular black enamel hood with a Series VI clamp-on adapter.
I don’t know whether the 50/2 has a standard 40mm filter thread (I don’t have the lens anymore, regrettably, and I never tried it with a 40mm filter). But I still have the matching set of a hood with filter adapter and unmounted glass filters for it, and the filter holder screwed onto the lens.

Back