Plustek Opticfilm 120 Pro

One of the issues the "old" OF120 has is a kind of aliasing effect in the blue sky with some types of film like e.g. the (no more) Fuji Reala 100. A factor in this is the very high optical resolution of the system. With the new manual focusing possibility of the Pro it should theoretically be possible to avoid that by de-focusing a fraction on purpose.

Aliasing sample of the old OF 120 :

Plustek Opticfilm 120 Aliasing (04) by Hans Kerensky, on Flickr

Well, i did order the new OF120 Pro. Hope to receive it next week and then I can start experimenting :)

One of the issues the "old" OF120 has is a kind of aliasing effect in the blue sky with some types of film like e.g. the (no more) Fuji Reala 100. A factor in this is the very high optical resolution of the system. With the new manual focusing possibility of the Pro it should theoretically be possible to avoid that by de-focusing a fraction on purpose.

Aliasing sample of the old OF 120 :

Plustek Opticfilm 120 Aliasing (04) by Hans Kerensky, on Flickr

Well, i did order the new OF120 Pro. Hope to receive it next week and then I can start experimenting :)

That's not unique to the Plustek. My Nikon 8000ED did that with some images too.

Why would that mean there is no saving of the calibration?! You insert 35mm strip, calibrate and press 'Apply' - lens position is saved for 35mm strip holder. Repeat for the 35mm mounted slide holder and 120 strip holder. Done. Scanner then adjusts the lens position based on the holder that is inserted.

According to the video it's done with a Plustek utility and so Silverfast doesn't have to know anything about it.

I agree with you. It was just an asumption from my side that was wrong...

I am still on the fence - to go for digicam scanning (buying maybe Nikon D810/850), or invest into this this Plustek. I am happy for now with Coolscan LS V, but one day it will die...

I am still on the fence - to go for digicam scanning (buying maybe Nikon D810/850), or invest into this this Plustek. I am happy for now with Coolscan LS V, but one day it will die...
If you're doing black and white then either is fine, if you're doing color, stick with a real scanner. I've scanned tons of negatives on scanners and with a DSLR and the color is always much better on the scanner. If I have to guess, I think it comes from having full color information in every pixel as opposed to the bayer or X-trans sensor interpolating the colors.

If you're doing black and white then either is fine, if you're doing color, stick with a real scanner. I've scanned tons of negatives on scanners and with a DSLR and the color is always much better on the scanner. If I have to guess, I think it comes from having full color information in every pixel as opposed to the bayer or X-trans sensor interpolating the colors.

What software are you using for color DSLR scanning?
I get better color from negativelabpro.com

that scan comes out straight of the machine looks quite promising.

looking forward to see more.

i guess you're among the very first users to have this OP 120 pro.

congrats.

that scan comes out straight of the machine looks quite promising.

looking forward to see more.

i guess you're among the very first users to have this OP 120 pro.

congrats.

I did wait for almost 2 years since Plusteks first announcements in September 2018 :

https://www.flickr.com/groups/plustek_opticfilm_120/discuss/72157702754253144/

Even thought that they had skipped the whole project, so was pleasently surprised when it turned up on Amazon NL :).
I could compare this first image with a scan i already made of that film with my "old" OF 120. Generally they are almost similar but the "new" OF 120 Pro gives a bit sharper image right out of the box.

Looks excellent. Plustek makes good stuff. I'd love to sell my piece of junk epson for one at some point.

I still have an Epson V700 for flatbed scans (e.g. of paper documents). Very satisfied with it for that kind of work. However for scanning films its optical performance not comes close to that of the OF 120.

It looks good, but 5890x5952 for a 6x6 photo is just about 2.400 dpi. Is this the top resolution available for 120 film?

The top resolution is 5300 dpi. It is however not very practical to work with such high resolution in medium format so I stick to 2650 dpi which gives me for each scan a .tiff file of about 100MB for a 6x6 image.
5300 dpi would give me an enormous file of about 400MB. Not nice to work with in e.g. Photoshop Elements.

For 35mm film scans I generally do use 5300 dpi.

The top resolution is 5300 dpi. It is however not very practical to work with such high resolution in medium format so I stick to 2650 dpi which gives me for each scan a .tiff file of about 100MB for a 6x6 image.
5300 dpi would give me an enormous file of about 400MB. Not nice to work with in e.g. Photoshop Elements.

For 35mm film scans I generally do use 5300 dpi.

would be interested to hear your impressions on this machine vs. some more widespread, affordable scans from a lab with scanners like noritsu. this could shape up to be a good alternative if it can get the film really flat and focus properly.

Back