Point and Shoot AF Classics - post yours

Krosya

Konicaze
Local time
4:21 PM
It's amazing how many great cameras there used to be made before anyone ever thought of digital. Some were pretty expensive and many had great lenses. These days these cameras can be had for a song. So, I have been taking a full advantage of the situation and managed to collect several P&S AFs that I think can be classified as "Classics".
Here are mine - post yours:

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

I bought this at a flea market for $5...works perfectly...and now it has a twin because my mom just bought me another one in mint condition at a garage sale yesterday for $3! I am still looking for a similar Nikon branded AF and a mint Canon AF35M the first SureShot and the camera that started the companies to naming their models instead of numbering them. I would also like to get a Konica C35AF and of course who wouldn't want to have a nice Contax T2!

Pentax.jpg

Last edited:
Krosya - I've been looking at a lot of these cameras lately and your post stole my thunder. I currently am using two - the 2nd Hi Matic AF and the Yashica T3. Although this is "the lesser" of the Yashica T cameras, I'm very impressed with it. (Less so with the Minolta - but I haven't developed my first roll with it...) To my eye, it has that pleasing "T" coated glass look, and its signature resembles that of the Contax "G" series glass. Not saying it's in the same league, but it just renders really nice images and is a pleasure to shoot. I also use the scope, which is a great feature. (Critics say it's too small... But you don't use it like a TLR finder, you look at the scene with your eyes and look for shapes in the scope - way, way better than shooting blind from the hip...)

Based on your selection, you've obviously done your homework. I've looked to pick up all of these at one time or another (but enjoy the YT3 so much, I decided not to go PnS crazy and just use this camera I like and already own...).

Would you mind giving your impression of each camera? Which is "the best" or any thoughts on them? The only ones I would consider (not listed) is the first Pentax PC 35AF - the one without the motorized winder built-in. I actually took a shot on an "I don't know it it works - as is" one but it is broken. There seems to be not to many working samples of this one. The other is the Minolta AF-C but that one goes for too much dough imo, for what it is. If you're familair with both of these, they are of interest because they're pocketable, decent 35/2.8 glass, and don't have a noisy motorized winder. You advance the film manually. This is why I opted for the Hi Matic, but it's got too many beeps and buzzes annoying "indicators" (subject too close, turn on flash - etc...)

Last edited:
Here's my favorite: the Canon AF35ML. In fact, I have two of them, one with the ISO range to 800. The 40mm lens is sharp and just the right focal length and very fast at f1.9. The metering system is very hard to fool. An all-round great carry camera.

Attachments

• IMG_4349_resize.jpg
    IMG_4349_resize.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
Dimage EX 1500 wide, to the left, and the Zoom on the right side.
The 'Wide' is a 28mm f1.9 and the zoom is 38-115mm f3.5-5.5.
Both of them only 1.5mp with very grainy-like noise and filmlike image-quality. Bought them cheaply on Ebay after having spent some time going through sample-images from old digital-cameras. Usually I can't stand silver-cameras but I liked the image-quality too much and it is only matte-silver, so OK then..
A5A3F43A3F36424298C4735CDB6A8D29.jpg

Here's a few of my classics-some 35mm film compacts and digital cameras.

Ricoh TF-500:

dcp0079.jpg

A nice twin focal length Ricoh compact from the late 80's-note the square lens barrel, this is also seen on early 1990's Shotmaster cameras and some Myport models.

Lens is a Ricoh 35/70mm.

Pentax Zoom 105-R:
dcp0081.jpg

A bulky looking Pentax from 1991 with 38-105mm zoom lens and zoom flash, has bulb mode, interval shooting, multiple exposures. Bulb mode time can be upto 60 minutes (set by a button on the rear).

Cost me $10 (was in a bag with other Pentax cameras).

Kodak DC4800:

dcp0085.jpg

A 3.1MP enthusiast compact from 2000 with a great set of features such as large 1/1.8" CCD, 3x zoom (wide-angle:28-84mm), manual shutter speed setting a exposure compensation dial, PC sync socket and TIFF and manual WB with WB shift-even color temperature setting for WB (in kelvins-2500K TO 10,000K) and a battery that is similar to Fujifilm's NP-80 (for the DC4800, called the KLIC-3000).

Shown here with original box. Cost me $10 at a thrift store.

Kodak DC210 Zoom:
p4140060.jpg

Another wide-angle zoom lens digital camera from Kodak-from 1998. Has 1MP resoultion, top status display and exposure lock, 2x zoom (wide-angle:29-58mm).

$8 at a thrift store.
Olympus CAMEDIA C-1400XL:
dscn4817.jpg

A SLR style digital camera that resembles the old Olympus IS- series.

Olympus often referred to these as ZLR (zoom lens reflex) cameras.

Came out in 1997 and has a LCD on the rear (interestingly only used for reviewing captured photos and menus)-the optical through-the-lens type viewfinder is used for composition and a 3x zoom lens (36-110mm) whose lens never extends out of the body-zooming is internal.

A quick focus system (basically a set of buttons on the rear) allow for shooting at several preset focus distances (also seen on several models like the later D-450/C-920 Zoom).

Has a 2/3" CCD and PC sync socket (and SLR like pop-up flash), plus manual WB (set using the Kelvin scale) and spot metering.

Takes SmartMedia cards (which I have several that came with it).

Cost me $20 at a thrift store (came with camera bag,cables, CD,SmartMedia cards and manuals).

Olympus C-2000Z/C-2040:
dscn4818.jpg

One of the first Olympus digital cameras to have this body design (used by several Olympus C-series cameras) and a fast f2 lens with shutter and aperture priority. Can use a external flash (has a standard PC sync socket). From 1999. Both have status displays on the top.

Second one shown here is a C-2040 (2001)-even faster f 1.8 lens and adds manual mode and movie mode. Both use SmartMedia cards but this one can use Olympus flash units due to a properity Olympus sync socket (3rd party ones can be used with optional sync socket adaptors).

Both have 1/2" 2MP CCD's.

Cost me $12 for the C-2000Z and $10 for the C-2040 at a thrift store.

Last edited:
A few of my favorites:

Canon AF35M (The original Sure Shot)

Canon AF35M by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 (absolutely wonderful camera)

Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Konica Lexio 70 (maybe the smallest zoom camera ever made)

Konica Lexio 70W by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Nikon L35AF

Nikon L35AF by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Nikon One Touch (L35AF2), I like this camera better than the original L35AF, even though it is more "plasticy". I have never had a bad exposure with the One Touch.

Perfect L35AF2 by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Nikon One Touch Macro (L35AF3)

Nikon L35AF3 by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Nikon AW35 (not an AF, but maybe one of the best fixed-focus auto-exposure compacts ever, this weatherproof camera was Nikon's response to the original Olympus Stylus, and it is a brilliant snapshot camera).

Nikon Sport Touch (AW35) by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Ricoh FF90D

Ricoh FF-90D by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Pentax PC35AF and PC35AFM

Pick a pair of Pentax by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Olympus AF10 Super (fastest autofocus that I have yet come across)

Olympus AF10 Super by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Samsung ECX1

Samsung ECX1 x 2 by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Most of these were purchased for less than $10, I think the most I paid for any of them was $16 for one of the Samsung ECX1's.

Canon made some nice fixed focus lens and twin focal length cameras in 1990's-here's a few of them:

Canon Snappy QT:
1001754sl.jpg

32mm Canon lens. Was the second last model in the Canon Snappy series.

Released in 1997.

Canon Prima BF/Snappy LX:
1001753k.jpg

Canon 35mm lens and was the first single focal length camera to have a red-eye reduction feature (according to Canon's Camera Museum website).

Released in 1991.

Canon Prima Twin S/Sure Shot TELEMAX.:
1001751.jpg

Canon 38/70mm lens (lens selected with a switch on the front).

Released in 1991.

My line-up
5404626468_fa1f426790_b.jpg

From the top: Olympus 35RC, Rollei Prego Micron, Yashica T5D,
Olympus mju II, LOMO LC-A, Olympus XA, Pentax PC35AFM and finally a digital Lumix LX3:eek:

I've got a few too...

The famous Yashica T4

DSCN5216.JPG

The Olympus XA2 which didn't manage to impress me...

XA2.jpg

The Nikon L35AF, a fantastic camera...

l35af.jpg

The original μ-1

e-thesis+102.jpg

And probably the best of them all... the DL Super Mini, what an amazing lens...

camera.jpg

Back