Polaroid 600 SE : completing the camera.

Solid

Local time
5:33 AM
Hi there folks!

I recently got my grandfather's polaroid 600 SE. Wonderfull But there are a few things that are bothering me.

First of all, the 127 MM Mamiya lens on it doesn't have a lens shade. I was looking on ebay and I found a couple of lens shades. ( http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=mamiya+127+lens+shade&_sacat=See-All-Categories ) Do these fit the 127 mm lens on the polaroid 600 SE?

Secondly, the eye piece doesn't have a rubber anymore and I'm finding it very hard to focus that way. It's ofcourse possible to look through the viewfinder, but without the rubber piece it isn't that easy. I looked around on ebay and i found some eyepieces, but i'm not sure what kind of eyepiece would acctualy fit the polaroid 600 SE.

Third. There isn't a lens cap for the back of the 127 mm lens. I found this one on ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Mamiya-RB67-Rear-127-180-250-Cap_W0QQitemZ390083516140QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item5ad2ca16ec&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_1182 ) , but once again, I am not sure if it fits the polaroid 600 SE.

Another thing is that, when you take of the lens, there isn't a piece to protect the hole in the camera that fits the lens. (I am probably not using the correct terms here.) Are these things still available, and what is the correct term?

And last but not least. I loaded the camera, but after pulling the big black tab, no white tab came out (as it, if I understand correctly, should.)
I opened the holder a little bit and placed the white tab in the good position. After taking a photograph, I pull the white tab and the picture comes out. The camera doesn't seem to "reload" though, so I have to open the holder again en put the next white tab in the correct position. I assume that the next white tab should come out by itself when a picture is taken.

Not sure if I loaded the camera in the wrong way, or if it should be this way. I am affraid that the film gets exposed this way, because I have to open the holder every time. I have a coupe of pictures with a white line on it, I am thinking it's because I have to open the holder and that way I expose the film.

I used to do photography a long time ago and now, with getting this camera I'm all excited again to go an take pictures. I just want the camera to be complete and top-notch, because it is a beautiful piece of equipment.

Sorry for the bad English and thanks in advance! :)

1. 127mm RB lens shades won't fit - they have a bigger diameter.

2. The eyepiece for the Polaroid 600 or Mamiya Universal fits. But not the eyepieces for any other Mamiya press cameras!

3. A RB rear lens cap won't fit. And lenses (and accordingly rear lens and body caps) aren't even interchangeable between Press and 600SE - Mamiya put a different mount on the 600SE, and only 75, 127 and 150mm lenses were made with that mount. You need Polaroid caps, Mamiya parts would be no good. I've never seen a Polaroid rear cap without lens, so it might be hard to locate a separate cap.

4. Body cap. Polaroid, not Mamiya. These are as rare as lens caps...

5. You probably misloaded. Most people do not follow the very simple instructions on the cardboard box, but attempt to be more complicated and thread the black tab or white tabs somewhere or other. The cartridge is merely placed inside the back and the lid is closed, the tabs sort themselves out without intervention.

I was able to buy a body cap on ebay! :D
Could anyone tell me what mamiya lens shades do fit the 127 mm of the 600 SE?

Polaroid 600SE and Mamiya Universal

Polaroid 600SE and Mamiya Universal

The two cameras really only have two differences. The breech mount for the two cameras do not interchange. This was a contractual decision when Polaroid had Mamiya provide both the lenses, the bodies and the backs for the 600SE.

so:

Focusing helicals do not mount across the two platforms.
Backs do NOT interchange without changing the feet that work on the 600SE to the feet that work on the Mamiya Universal and vice versa.

Otherwise the full series of lenses 50, 65, 75, 100, 127, 150, and 250 could be found in one or the other of the focusing helicals depending on film coverage.

Mamiya Sekor lenses were most often using image circles to cover 6X9, or roughly 3X4 inches to cover polaroid pack film.
50, 75, 127 were most often used in the Polaroid 600SE because of the 3x4 image circle. 65,100,150 were the lenses most ofen found in the Mamiya Press mounts for the smaller 6X9 format.

As time went on, it became common to find any of the lenses in either of the mounts, BUT there is no adaptor to adapt a Universal helical to a Polaroid mount at the face of the camera.

Now to get to your question, there are some crossover pieces like the rubber eyepiece and the hoods that work on both cameras.

So, you may want to expand you search to include Mamiya Press and Universal pieces where those pieces were used on both.

For instance there is a hard to find Mamiya P back that allows the use of the 120 roll film backs on the Polaroid 600SE. That particular adaptor has the split feet for the Polaroid. The split feet did not fit on the Universal.

But a 127 hood is the same, whether it came on the 127 lens in the Universal mount or the Polaroid Mount. Same is true of the 50 and 75 in either mount.

Back