Polaroid 680 repair in London

Gilo25

Established
Local time
9:10 AM
I have a Polaroid 680 which I bought second hand some time ago and worked fine until today. When I tried to take a picture today I noticed that that the viewfinder was black and when I checked the front I noticed that the diaphragm was closed. :bang:Does anybody know if this is something which can be repaired? I am going to be in London for a few days next week and was wondering if anybody can recommend a reputable repair shop which deals with Polaroid.
Thanks to all

Have you tried to change the film?
On my 680 this happened with and out-of-date film: when loaded it worked fine, but after being in a drawer for a week, once opened again it showed a black viewfinder.
There were 2 photos left, so I tried removing the film and loading a recent empty one (I always keep few of them)... result, diaphragm working ok.

I hope this works for you too, find a repairmen for such a camera could be hard...

Thank you. Actually the camera had worked until the weekend before. Then I got it out again, it was empty, I threw the old cartridge, put in a new one and the viewfinder was black.
I did find a repair shop in London (Sendean or something) willing to fix it, but for UKP 100 to 120! I may as well buy a 'new' one on Ebay.

If you tested it with a single filmpack, it may be a battery fault since the shutter is battery-operated, so trying with another one might worth the the shot you'll waste...
120£ is really close to what I paid one year ago for a near mint 680 from a british guy on the bay...

You'll better try to fix it yourself... there are many useful guides for the very similar sx-70 on the net, most likely problems are dirt on shutter blades or sticky seals in mirror return.

Do you actually see ANY image in the finder, even a very dim one? try to point it to a very bright scene or a light sources, if you see a dim image it will be something related to shutter blades (grease, dirt, or a faulty battery), if you see absolutely nothing it is probably something withing the mirror return, where aged light seals might become sticky and prevent it to return in position. I think there is a mechanical latch that also prevent the shutter opening in this case.
Also, do you hear anything when half-pressing the release button? does the camera try to focus or stay silent?

I wouldn't put any money in it, nor would I buy another. I have one, and love it, but the film's been discontinued and will never be made again because Polaroid is dying.

sad but true Chris... I have bought a little stock of films just before the price jumped up to over 25 per pack, but dunno what I'll do when those will be over...

For my personal use, I think I'll pick up a packfilm rangefinder, but who uses the 680 the most is my wife, which likes a lot the way this camera is full automatic... Maybe she'll go fuji, but that big and ugly Instant is nothing like the beautilful Polaroid reflex!

Well, I also have digital cameras and a nice printer, but, you know, not the same thing...

Back