Polaroid B&W - using b&w filters on SX-70 type cameras

Nice to see others' work with the SX-70 and B&W film! :D

Yesterday was a watershed instant film day for me: I loaded up the Polaroid SLR670a with Color 600 Round Frame and went meandering about on my walk with the intent to make eight decent exposures, just jiggling the dark/light control by gut feeling. I must be understanding this film and this camera well now ... I got eight good exposures! And a couple of them might even be satisfying photographs! LOL!

Perhaps scanning a little later today. I'll create a new thread for the color work...

G

The prints seem blotchy -- uneven dispersion of the chemicals? (Sorry for the negative comment -- fascinating thread.)

Wait -- those latest ones look darn good!

Clean rollers are essential. Using fresh film helps too. Polaroid B&W film is actually quite good. I'm very happy with the results I'm getting.

Jim B.

The prints seem blotchy -- uneven dispersion of the chemicals? (Sorry for the negative comment -- fascinating thread.)

Wait -- those latest ones look darn good!

Clean rollers are essential. Using fresh film helps too. Polaroid B&W film is actually quite good. I'm very happy with the results I'm getting.

Jim B.

Lovely photos, Jim!

Yes indeed: clean rollers are critical to smooth, even prints. I try to clean mine with almost every new pack of film because—particularly with older packs—there's often a small amount of reagent leakage that sticks to and solidifies on the rollers. It happens in some of my cameras more than others (I have four SX-70 type and two box type Polaroids) which leads me to believe that in some of these cameras the roller tolerances are a bit more worn than others.

That said, I mostly shoot film to enjoy the inconsistent oddities of film images because today's digital cameras are so incredibly consistent and clean ... they often show my own errors much more readily than old, often slightly out of spec film cameras do. :eek: ...;)

Just back from my walk and ... I'd planned to scan my polaroids from yesterday but there's some work going on in the building above me that feels like a dental drill hammering on the top of my head. Ugh. I'll go get lunch and see if they're intent on annoying me all afternoon... Sigh.

G

If you're invited to a wedding, always take along a Polaroid. Today's cellphone kids are amazed when they see a final print in a few minutes. SX-70 with 600-series film, with ND filter.

amy008_final.jpg

JIm B.

Godfrey, nice work with the filter tests; I like the prints.

Do you have any examples of a scene having various types of foliage shot with no filter and then a green filter? If so, is there much of a difference? I shot some scenes with my 8x11 Minox with and without the built-in green filter and I could not detect that much difference. Perhaps it depends on the foliage itself.

Godfrey, nice work with the filter tests; I like the prints.

Do you have any examples of a scene having various types of foliage shot with no filter and then a green filter? If so, is there much of a difference? I shot some scenes with my 8x11 Minox with and without the built-in green filter and I could not detect that much difference. Perhaps it depends on the foliage itself.
Thank you!

I don't do a lot of "with/without" testing photos on real world subjects with Polaroid simply because at $20 per 8 exposures, it gets too darn expensive to do anything that is sufficiently illustrative.

Green filters can be quite subtle in their effect on the grayscale capture. It depends on the subject's reflectivity, the kind of light, the specific filter, and the film/digital sensor spectral sensitivities. I use a green filter as a standard fitment when I'm shooting with the M10 Monochrom, for instance, where with the M4-2 and film I tend to want to use an orange or yellow filter. The effect on the M10M is to expand the range of tonal values subtly and slightly reduce contrast; the effect on most B&W film with orange or yellow is the opposite. The 600 B&W film is pretty contrasty so I thought green would work well, but in use it slows down the film by quite a lot.

Here's a couple of color checker shots showing the color vs No filter and Green filter with Polaroid 600 B&W:

Polaroid B&W Filter Test

You can pretty see the tonal differences in the swatches pretty easily, despite the poor quality of the instant print captures (I had these as part of the testing I did back in Spring, had to crop to a tiny fragment of the instant print...!) If I get energetic about it, maybe I'll do another set of exposures filling the frame with the color checker for better tonal resolution... :)

The green filter in the Minox 8x11 cameras is a very light green. I haven't found it particularly useful with foliage, more with skin tones on relatively dark-complexioned subjects.

G

Back