Polaroid for 4x5 pinhole....

R

rich815

I'm considering purchasing a nice used Zeroimage 4x5 pinhole camera and I'm being given the opportunity from the seller to include (for more $$) a couple of Polaroid backs (545 Pro and the one that takes the 600 series). Been reading that Polaroid has stopped making the 55 type and 600 series and pretty much all their films. Rumor abounds about someone, maybe Fuji, buying the licensing and continuing to make them but it seems far from certain. The price for the backs is ok ($245 for both) but I question whether I'll need them as I plan to shoot mostly Acros or Efke 4x5 sheet film though if there was a chance of the Polaroid films or a reincarnation of them being available would want try/use type 55 for negs and the 600 stuff for the emulsion transfer process. Should I grab the Polaroid backs too or not waste my money?

I don't know how substantive the rumors are, but for now, B&H is still offering Polaroid type 55 film and a few of the other instant films (ie, 52 and 56 in 4x5). Type 59 (color) is already out of stock and discontinued. :mad:

I also read that Fuji's instant sheet film only comes in packs, not sheets, so the 545 holder will not work on current Fuji instant films. See this photonet discussion:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00OW4j

I join the many who are crossing our fingers for someone to pickup where Polaroid has left off (in terms of instant sheet film).

rt :)

For those who might be following this thread, this was just posted on the Rollei Users list:

April 18th, 2008, Mobberley, Cheshire UK and Minnetonka, MN, USA -- HARMAN
technology Limited and its monochrome brand, ILFORD Photo and Polaroid Worldwide
have been in discussions about ILFORD Photo taking on production of Polaroid's black and
white professional instant sheet film. Despite their best efforts, together the prospective
partners have determined that they can not find a commercially viable way forward.

HARMAN's Chairman and Managing Director, Phil Harris said. " The processes involved in
the manufacture and assembly of professional instant sheet film products are very
demanding and it would require substantial investment to re-establish them at HARMAN
technology's site in Cheshire, England. When compared with current and projected sales
for the products, it was clear that such an investment could not be justified."

Phil Harris continues: " While we had hoped to work together on continuing the production
of instant sheet film, it is cost prohibitive to meet the declining demand. As a company,
we are saddened that such an inspirational form of expression will disappear, but we will
always remain staunchly committed to the long term future of monochrome photography
in all its facets and we will continue to do everything we can to support it".

Back