Oregon Portland Photographer - First Solo Show at Soho Photo Gallery in NY

jadyb110

jadybates
Local time
11:26 AM
Hi there Portlander RFF's - I notice no one posts here but because I live in Portland, OR and am from Portland, OR I wanted to get the word out that I have my first solo photography show opening Sept. 8th (show runs Sept 8-Oct. 1, 2016) at Soho Photo Gallery! It is entitled: TRANSGENDER BEAUTIFUL and features a local transgender model & activist throughout the series. It is a journey of self-actualization - all shot on a Holga. You can see the full works here: jadybates.com/transgenderbeautiful I hope to gain exposure for the model and if anyone local has any ideas for how to make a grassroots outreach grow big! -- Well, please let me know! :)

Charjohncarter - Thanks but the show is actually in NYC! I'm a lifelong Portlander (for the near future...) :) Maybe you'll be headed to NY in Sept?

And filmtwit - THX for the heads up! Looks like the link is truly:
jadybates.com/transgender-beautiful or straight from my homepage: jadybates.com

Cheers!

OK. So should we be excited for Portland or NYC?

For those who might not know, Portland OR (and PNW in general, including OR, WA, ID, BC) really has quite a thriving creative community that obviously includes many talented and varied photographers. I've met at least 3 fellow RFFers from the greater Portland metroplex regional area. All nice folks (Hi again guys :)) and I know there's more I haven't met...yet.

Congrats jadyb110 on your show. Did this exhibit in Portland too, or is the NYC show ground zero?

rfaspen - I've been so busy learning photography in last two years that I've only put my focus into Soho in NY, because this is where I fell in. Do you have suggestions for breaking into galleries in Portland? Would also love to be part of the community here, my hometown. I am part of a darkroom group that did a small show at Blackbird Wine Shop in NE last April and now we are scheduling a Powell's gallery show for either this November or February...more on this soon...I hope!

Hey Portlanders - It's just gotten confirmed. Our darkroom group from PCC has secured a February (2017) showing at Powell's City of Books' BASIL HALWARD GALLERY. That's pretty fun! Opening night still not confirmed but probably will be Feb 2nd. Put on your calendars - Come out and see us! (Will repost as it draws near.)

I would have liked to see your show at the Soho Photo Gallery but I won't be in New York until November. I did check out the images, however, and I really like your work.

Interesting that you mention Blackbird Wine Shop as some of my prints will be exhibited there this coming September, along with others in my photo group.

When you mention "Our darkroom group from PCC", are you talking about Mike Riches students at PCC? If so, I used to take darkroom classes at PCC from Mike.

Congrats on securing your showing in February at Powells. I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks ornate_wrasse ! Yes, it is the Mike Riches group out of the PCC darkroom. Cool that you used to go .. you should come back. :) Sorry to miss you in NY--be sure to take your camera and enjoy the city...Hey will your prints be up at Blackbird Wine Shop all of September? I will definitely make a trip there to see it...that's awsum (and it's a great place). -jady

Back