Portraits of Amelia

Jason Schneider

the Camera Collector
Local time
11:40 AM
Amelia, age 7, is the granddaughter if my next door neighbor. She's a great portrait subject not only because she's attractive and just slightly exotic, but mainly because she has that indescribable quality known as "presence." I hope I have managed to convey some small portion of her identity and essence in my impromptu portraits of her. The subject is everything--I am only the photographer. Good shooting to all in these tough times, and stay creative--it's the best antidote to fear and depression. Love & Peace, Jason

Attachments

• Sigma fp, 45mm f:2.8 lens, ISO 20000 one 1600th sec  at f10.jpg
    Sigma fp, 45mm f:2.8 lens, ISO 20000 one 1600th sec at f10.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1
  • L1009324.jpg
    L1009324.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1
  • L1009322.jpg
    L1009322.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1
More Portraits of Amelia

More Portraits of Amelia

Here are 2 more portraits of Amelia shot with a Leica M 240 and 75mm f/1.5 Voigtlander Nokton lens

Attachments

• L1009156.jpg
    L1009156.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
  • L1009155.jpg
    L1009155.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0
The thumb nails are a bit deceptive but when opened up I think I like the second. It's a matter of purely personal preference but I prefer the lower contrast rendering. The first image would probably be judged as technically better but as my Flickr photostream shows, I am one who believes that an artistic interpretation is worthwhile even at the expense of technical excellence. It's all down to personal taste, however.

Cropped portraits of Amelia?

Cropped portraits of Amelia?

My MIL doesn't like pictures where I have faces cropped. :)

All the images of Amelia I posted to RFF are the full images as composed on the LCD of my Sigma fp. You're certainly free to disagree with how I composed them but you may rest assured but none of them was cropped.

Exotic is in the eye of the beholder

Exotic is in the eye of the beholder

Kinda off subject, but what do you mean by exotic?

Amelia's parents are both attractive Caucasian Americans of Western European origin and Amelia embodies those genetic elements but with an added dash of something else--Eastern European, Baltic, Asian, I'm not sure what. I used the term "exotic" as a quick gloss for "something unexpected, different, fascinating, and beautiful" and intended it as a compliment to an unconventionally pretty girl with that something extra. If anyone objects to the term "exotic" as inherently demeaning or insensitive I offer my sincere apologies. I truly believe we are all one and that no group of people is really any more exotic than anyone else, but some of us, including Amelia, are a captivating combination of elements that is ultimately indescribable in words but can, at least partially, be captured in portraits.

Amelia, age 7, is the granddaughter if my next door neighbor. She's a great portrait subject not only because she's attractive and just slightly exotic, but mainly because she has that indescribable quality known as "presence." I hope I have managed to convey some small portion of her identity and essence in my impromptu portraits of her. The subject is everything--I am only the photographer. Good shooting to all in these tough times, and stay creative--it's the best antidote to fear and depression. Love & Peace, Jason

Well done, there are subjects that naturally make it difficult for the photographer to screw it up. I like the 3rd shot most, reminds me a little of Sigourney Weaver. Amelia is growing up to be strong willed character of a women. When I read the headline I was thinking of Amalia (Portugese Fado singer).

Back